Blueberry Drop Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, chilled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375°
- To make the dough by hand, in a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add blueberries and toss to mix.
- To make the dough in a stand mixer, fit the mixer with the flat beater, and stir together the flour, sugar and salt in the mixer bowl. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add blueberries and toss to mix.
- In separate bowl beat together cream, vanilla, and egg. Slowly pour into dry ingredients, stirring with rubber scraper until dough forms. Knead just until it comes together, 3 or 4 times. Don’t overhandle.
- Divide dough in eight even pieces and place on a ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with a bit of coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until scones are a light golden color. Serve warm.
Note: you can freeze unbaked scones and enjoy hot from the oven scones any day of the week. Just freeze on a baking sheet until firm, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc freezer bag. When ready to bake just pop into the oven straight from the freezer, no need to thaw. Just add a few more minutes to the baking time.
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com