Compote of Apples (Compote de Pommes)
6 fresh apples - I used McIntosh
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
zest of 1/2 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
pinch of cinnamon
- Peel the apples and cut out their cores.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the water, 3 of the apples, and the sugar. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- When the apples are blanched, remove the apples and leave the remaining syrup in the saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add the remaining apples to the saucepan and cook them down to a jelly.
- Pour the jelly over the apples and top with pinches of nutmeg and cinnamon.