Teriyaki Burgers with Pineapple Mango Salsa
1 mango, diced
1-1 1/4 c. diced fresh pineapple (canned works great too)
1/4 of one red bell pepper, diced small
1/4 c. red onion, finely diced
1 T. fresh cilantro, minced
Juice of one lime
1/8 t. coarse salt
Sauce: (Annie suggest halving this part. The full recipes makes enough for 8 burgers)
1 cup fresh chopped pineapple (canned works great too)
1/2 c low sodium soy sauce
1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced fine
3 T. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. sesame oil
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. cold water
Burgers: (you can cheat and you use frozen sirloin burgers also)
1 lb. ground sirloin
2 T. yellow onion, chopped finely
1 t. garlic, mince
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 or 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Monterrey Jack Cheese
1. To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate, allowing flavors to blend while you prepare the sauce and burgers.
2. To make the sauce, combine the pineapple, soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, garlic, vinegar and sesame oil in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth and well blended. Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan. Warm over medium-high heat until bubbly, about 1-2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and stir until well incorporated. Continue heating the sauce, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. To make the burgers, prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, mix together the beef, yellow onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Form the mixture into 4 patties, each about ¾-inch thick.
4. When the grill is heated, cook the hamburgers directly over medium-high heat, turning once, 3 -5 minutes per side or until no pink shows. Add cheese and let melt while you toast the hamburger buns. Grill the buns just until lightly brown and toasted.
5. To serve, place a hamburger patty on each of the buns. Top with teriyaki sauce and garnish with mango-pineapple salsa. Replace the top bun to form a sandwich and serve immediately. Enjoy!