Signatures, labels, & filters
1. Open Gmail.
2. In the upper-right corner of the Mail window, click Settings.
3. On the General page, in the Signature section, enter your signature in the box.
4. Optionally use the options to format the text and add links and images.
5. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Note: You can set up only one signature.
Use labels to categorize your messages. Labels are like folders, but with a twist: You can apply multiple labels to message, so you can "store" a single copy of a message in multiple labels. You can also:
Make your labels easy to identify by applying different colors to them.
To create a label:
1. Click the Labels drop-down menu and choose Manage labels:
Tip: Alternatively, you can click Settings > Labels.
2. Under Labels, in the Create a new label field, type the name of your new label, and then click Create:
To change the color of a label:
1. In your Labels list on the left, click the square to the left of a label. For example:
2. Select a color from the palette that appears. The change is instantly applied to all messages with that label:
You can remove a color by clicking Remove color below the color palette.
Tip: Not enough colors? Try the Custom Label Colors feature in Google Mail Labs. In the upper-right corner of your Mail window, click Settings > Labs.
To apply a label to a message:
1. Select the check box next to the messages you want to label, and then select the label name from the Labels drop-down menu. (Note that you can select more than one label.)
2. Click Apply.
Tip: If you want to move the messages out of your Inbox at the same time you apply a label to them, select the messages, and then select a label in the Move to drop-down menu.
Or, just click and hold in the gray area to the left of the message...
...and drag it to a label's name:
To move labeled messages out of your Inbox:
1. Select one or more labeled messages in your Inbox.
2. Click Archive.
To view a labeled message you archived, just click the label on the left.
Use filters to manage your incoming messages. With filters, you can automatically label, archive, or delete messages based on keywords and other criteria.
Note: Gmail filters are similar to Email Rules in GroupWise/NetMail
1. Open Gmail.
2. In the upper right, click Settings > Filters > Create a new filter. Or, just click the Create a filter link at the top of the top of your Mail window:
3. Enter your filter criteria in the fields:
4. Optionally, click Test Search to see which messages currently in Google Mail match your filter terms. You can update your criteria and run another test search.
5. Click Next Step, then select one or more actions to apply to messages that match this filter's criteria:
Note: These actions are applied in the order in which they are listed. For example, you could choose to forward matching messages to a specific email address, and then delete the messages.
6. To apply the filter to messages you've already received, click Also apply filter to [x] conversations below.
7. Click Create Filter.