- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Decorating sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, lemon extract or peppermint extract
- Food color
- In medium bowl, mix flour, 1 cup butter and the whipping cream. Divide dough into thirds and wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll one-third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll.) Cut into desired shapes with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters. Generously cover large piece of waxed paper with decorating sugar. Transfer cutouts to waxed paper and turn each cutout to coat both sides. Place on prepared baking sheet. Prick each cutout with fork about 4 times.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- To make cream filling, mix powdered sugar, butter, and extract until smooth. Add food coloring if desired. Transfer filling to a disposable decorating bag attached with a decorating tip. Pipe filling between bottoms of pairs of cookies.
Yields: 5 dozen sandwich cookies
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com