Slow Cooked Jambalaya
* 6 cups vegetable stock or vegan "chicken" stock ( try Better than Bouillion )
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 cup finely chopped onion
* 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
* 2 stalks celery, cut into small dice
* 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2 circles
* 1 Tb garlic, minced
* 3 Tb tomato paste
* 1/2 cup vegetable broth or cooking sherry
* 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 Tb fresh thyme leaves
* 2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
* 1/2 lb cubed vegan sausages or seitan
* 2 cups spelt
* 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Saute the sausages in 2 tablespoons of olive oil according to the packaged directions. Or 4 to 5 minutes for the seitan, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and then add the onion, green pepper, celery, zucchini and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the vegetable broth or sherry to deglaze the vegetables and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Stir in the rice and cook for another 4 minutes.
5. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a slow cooker. Add the sausage, bay leaf, all the herbs, salt, pepper and the 6 cups of vegetable or "chicken" broth.
6. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
7. Remove the bay leaf, stir and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.