Credit Recovery - Health
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course will help students develop the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy decisions that allow them to stay active, safe and informed. The lessons and activities are designed to introduce the student to important aspects of the main types of health: emotional and mental, social and consumer, and physical. Among other topics, students will explore nutrition, understanding and avoiding disease, first aid and CPR, and human sexuality. Students will find out about the components of a healthy lifestyle and ways to approach making healthy choices and decisions.
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Introduce students to concepts and applications of the main types of health: mental and emotional, social and consumer, and physical.
- Introduce methods and strategies for informed decision-making for healthy life choices.
- Present opportunities for students to apply their value system to decisions concerning mental, emotional, and physical health.
- Introduce and assess communication skills that demonstrate healthy choices with respect for self, family, and others.
- Reinforce resources provided by online sources, parents, friends, and community members that will assist in making healthy life choices.
COURSE LENGTH: One semester
REQUIRED TEXT: None
- Unit: Mental and Emotional Health
- Section A - Types of Health
- Section B - Understanding Emotions
- Section C - Understanding Stress
- Section D - Understanding Depression, Suicide, and Death
- Section E - Understanding and Developing Identity
- Unit: Social and Consumer Health
- Section A - Governmental Agencies
- Section B - Making Good Health Choices
- Unit: Nutrition
- Section A - Choose My Plate
- Section B - Essential Nutrients and Exercise
- Unit: Preventing Disease
- Section A - Infectious and Non-infectious Diseases
- Section B - Infectious Disease Continued
- Section C - Chronic Diseases
- Unit: First Aid and CPR
- Section A - Adult and Child CPR
- Section B - First Aid
- Section C - Special Situations and Safety
- Unit: Human Sexuality
- Section A - Physical Anatomy and Development
- Section B - Introduction to Contraception
- Section C - Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Section D - Dating, Sex and Abstinence
- Section E - Conception, Fetal Development, and Birth
- Unit: Drug, Alcohol, and Alcohol Awareness
- Section A - Alcohol Awareness
- Section B - Illegal Drug Awareness
- Section C - Tobacco Awareness