Quiz Step 1: Adding Questions in the Question Bank Moodle ISU
The Moodle ISU Question Bank contains all of the questions in the course and provides ways for these questions to be organized. This document will provide instructions on how to add questions to the question bank as well as how to add categories so that questions can be organized.
When creating a Quiz, the first step in the recommended process is to add your questions in the Question Bank.
This guide will help you to
- Navigate the Question Bank
- Organize the Question Bank
See these guides for more information about quizzes:
Navigate the Question Bank
From the front page of your course in the Administration block you can located the Question Bank.
To access the Question Bank:
- In the Administration block Select Question bank to expand the Question bank list.
- Select from the list:
- Questions to see the questions page.
- Categories to see the categories page.
- Import to import questions from a variety of formats.
- Export to export to a variety of formats.
Organize the Question Bank
You will view questions in the question bank where you can add and delete questions.
- Select Questions under the Question bank. will then let you see a list of all your questions.
- Selecting a category from the dropdown list at the top will list the questions from that category.
- Checking Also show questions from subcategories check box will display the questions, including the subcategories.
- Checking Also show old questions allows you to to view old questions that have been removed deleted or hidden.
- Click Show question text in the question list check box to see both the name and the question text.
- Select the Magnifying Glass icon beside the question.
Moving Questions to Another Category
- Select the question by clicking on the check mark box beside the question.
- At the bottom of the question list, in the "With selected:" dropdown menu, Select the new category for the question
- Click Move to >>.
Adding Questions to the Question Bank
- From the front page of your course in the Administration block select Question Bank.
- Select Questions.
- Select a category from the dropdown menu in which the new question will be added.
- Select a category and Click Create a new question to create a question.
- Select the type of question you would like to create.
Note: For detailed descriptions and step-by-step instructions for creating questions see our Quiz: Question Types guide.
- Click Add.
- Select the question from the question list by clicking on the check mark box beside the question.
- Click Delete at the bottom of the page.
Note: If the question is not currently included in a quiz, the question will be permanently deleted. If the question is currently included in a quiz, it will first need to be deleted from the quiz.
Organize the Categories
Adding a Category
- In the Administration block select Question bank
- From the expanded list Select Categories .
- You will have a list of current categories, as you scroll down you will see the Add Category section .
Note: Parent category refers to the location of the new category you are making, it will be placed as either a brand new category or as a sub-category for an existing one.
- Choosing Top will create a brand new category in which other categories and questions can be placed.
- If you choose to place the new category in an existing category then you will be creating a sub-category.
- Type the name of your new category in the text box.
- Add an optional description in the Category info field.
- Click the Add Category button.
Note: Your new question category will appear in the list of current categories.
- In the Administration block Open the question bank.
- Select Categories.
- Click the “X” next to the category you want to delete.
Note: In order to delete the category you must first go into the category and individually move or delete the questions..
Note: If you try to delete a category containing questions, you will be asked to specify a different category for the questions.
Note: You cannot delete or move the last category in any context, there must always be one category in a context.
You can arrange the categories in a hierarchy so that they are easier to manage.
- Use the up/down arrow icons to change the order in which category 'peers' are displayed.
- The up / down arrow icons are also used to move a top-level category between contexts. If you move a category to be the first or last category in a context and then press the arrow key again, it will be moved to the next context.
- Use the right arrow icon to move a category to be a sub-category of the category listed immediately above it.
- Use the left arrow icon to move a category up one category level (to be a peer of its parent category).
Hot Tip: If you're not sure what action an icon will perform, place the cursor over the icon and a message will appear explaining the icon’s function.
For more information, visit Question Categories.
Hot Tip: Categories and subcategories are very powerful when combined with random questions that can be selected either from one category or any of its subcategories. Using categories you can create a quiz with questions chosen randomly from the questions available in the category.
For more information, visit Question Bank.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.