Why do Glo Fish Glow?
What is a Glo Fish?
GloFish® fluorescent fish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hope to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated. The first step in developing a pollution-detecting fish was to create fish that would be fluorescent all the time. Scientists soon realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research, a process which lead to GloFish® fluorescent fish.
Videos for a second viewing of Glo Fish
- Log into Realtime Board using your TTSD Google account.
- In your group, discuss, research, analyze and answer the following questions concerning Glo Fish. Use Realtime Board to keep track of your discussion and record your thoughts about the questions below; include your answers to these in your board.
- Include on your “whiteboard” pictures, videos, images, written descriptions (by you and not copied and pasted).
- A source is a picture, video, website, article, etc. that provides information. If the source is used directly, it should be quoted and provided a citation. If a source is summarized, it should still be provided a citation.
- Quality Sources: Quality sources are not Billy Bob’s 5th grade project, ask.com answers, wikipedia (though it can be a good place to start), and random answers from a google search. Quality sources are articles for reputable newspapers (New York Times, Oregonian, etc), scientific journals, science particular websites (Science Daily News). If you’re not sure, ask.
- Citations should used as described in 1 above. To create a citation, Mr. Rott suggests Easybib which can help to simplify the process. However, you still will have to search for and input some of the information. Instructions of how to use Easybib can be found here.
What causes the glowing?
- What causes the fish to actually glow?
- Based on your answer from above, what process allows this to occur?
How are “normal” fish now glowing?
- Glo Fish were originally simply Zebra fish that have been “modified.” Zebra fish don’t normally glo. So, how are Glo Fish able to glow now?
Cool, so what else could this be applied to?
- Glo Fish are cool, but what type of application could we see these same processes explained in beyond just pet fish?
- Ensure all group member names on your board.
- Click “Share” and select “Link.” Paste a copy of the Board’s link in the Google Assignment and turn in.