Mental Maps, Absolute v. Relative Location WS 1 Name ________________________
- State two important uses of mental maps.
- Describe the relative location of Washington, D.C. by using at least three different reference points.
- Which would be used to measure degrees to the north or south of the equator: Latitude or longitude?
- “My house is about three blocks from the grocery store.” Is this statement showing absolute location or relative location?
- The Earth is divided into a northern and southern hemisphere, and also an eastern and western hemisphere. List the hemispheres in which you would find the seven continents.
Example: North America—Western, Northern
- What does longitude measure?
- What function does a compass rose serve on a map?
- Latitude and longitude determine absolute location. Using the world map in your book (page S23), determine which city can be found near the following absolute locations:
Absolute Location City, Country
33 N, 118 W _____________________
1 S, 78 W _____________________
41 S, 173 E _____________________
35 N, 140 E _____________________
33 S, 20 E _____________________