OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 6th March 2012

19:00 - 20:04 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Simon Poole, Grant Slater, Dermot McNally, Richard Weait, Michael Collinson, Oliver Kühn


Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met February 28th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Grant


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (should be complete tonight)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. ?OS or linking to attribution page or both?
  • Henk - Japan argath import. Ask if it could go now.?
  • Mike - Make sure responding to German-language decliner mailings on a future agenda so that it gets done.
  • Mike - Posting to Announce mailing list will be done after today’s “Night OF the Living Maps
  • Mike to draft messaging required for consumers of planet diffs related to changeover requirements due to licence change. 
  • Mike to follow up with UMP discussions (done)
  • Mike - Attribution after license change - advertise on legal talk for comments when Richard F has done further drafting. (done)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4.  Contact and re-map

Global picture:

  • Older contributor acceptances now 61,725 - an increase of 600 over last week . 425 declines.
  • Nodes that will likely not survive the license change are down from 23.57M to 22.66M [1]
  • Problematic Ways (ways which may have to be completely deleted) are slightly down to 1.77M [1]
  • Problematic relations down from 41.7K to 40.4K [1]


Lost mappers:

Very successful, it works and no problems. About 200 / 25% have agreed. Several significant Aus, German and UK non-responders have agreed and we down 30,000 to 40,000 hi

Simon proposes another list of small mappers, down to about 40 highways.

Mike - Give Sweden contact

5. Technical Rebuild

It was noted that the “Changeset-level exception agreement” wiki page: heeded by the WTFE and related tools only on a case-by-case basis. This provides poor feedback to community members wishing to know whether the changesets they submit are actioned, pending, disputed, etc. A difficulty about using an open wiki page to hold such information is that accountability for edits is low. A number of options were discussed including

  • a timely freezing of the right to edit closer to the month end
  • a non-wiki page (or one generated by other means) reflecting those changesets already actioned.

6. OSM Poland

The key current issue is some form of reciprocity whereby UMP would allow continued use of data imported from them and they can continue to use OSM data for their particular needs.  UMP is a project in similar spirit to OSM.

OSM community feedback received so far is that any permission to use data outside our normal licensing should be applied to anyone who uses OSM data. This severely restricts our options. We will continue to explore whether UMP needs could be met under the ODbL license irrespective of their own CC-BY-SA end licensing.  A combination of two possibilities might work, but we need to understand more exactly how UMP uses/wants to use our data. 1) UMP can use our (non-highway) data as a Produced Work layer because that can be licensed as CC-BY-SA. 2) If UMP’s only need for OSM highways is to compare and look for possible anomalies, (“verifying”), which are then completely independently mapped by UMP … then no OSM data is copied and therefore no derived database is created … this may be legitimate under ODbL … we may need to seek advice on this one from legal counsel or from Open Knowledge Foundation. Mike will update UMP.

7. OSM Czech Republic

Dermot has worked on this.  The pavel-account imports now show up as clean on cleanmap and no longer show up in OSMI and Potlatch/JOSM. So, done except for final redaction. Petr has been informed.


Next Meeting:

Apologies from Oliver.

Tuesday Mar 13th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET