Victoria Insight Meditation Society (VIMS)
Minutes of the Victoria IMS Council
July 16, 2012
A meeting of the VIMS council was held at the home of John Hilditch, Victoria, B.C. on July 16, 2012. The meeting commenced at 1 p.m. with a brief meditation.
Present: Brock Brown chair
Joyce Elliott retreat operations
June Fukushima treasurer
John Hilditch secretary
Rod House technology and communications
1. Approval of the agenda: An item “retreat advertizing” was added to the agenda. It was moved by Rod House that the agenda be approved as modified. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
2. Approval of the minutes of the June 4, 2012 meeting. It was moved by Joyce Elliott that the minutes be approved as circulated. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
3. Business arising from the minutes and updates:
The council had a very productive discussion on our system of running retreats on a dana basis.
4. Retreat advertising: Joyce pointed out that we may need to make a point of advertising retreats. For Eve Decker’s week-end retreat on September 29, 30 we will advertise a week after registration opens if registration is slow.
5. June presented the treasurer’s report. As of June 30 there is a balance of $7,625.90 in our accounts, $5,083.92 in the chequing account and $2,541.98 in the savings account. It was moved by John Hilditch that the treasurer be given authority to move money between the savings and chequing accounts as she deems appropriate. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
6. James Baraz has offered to give a Friday evening talk on the evening before his week-end retreat. June Fukushima moved that Brock invite James to do so. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented. James will also give a talk at the Sunday Night sit, following his retreat.
7. Council size and council member term of office: Rod House moved that we increase the size of the council. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented. Brock moved that June and Rod invite specific sangha members to join the council. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented. There was discussion that three years could be the term for council members; this will be discussed at a later time.
8. New ideas for 2012: The council discussed the idea of non-teacher lead days, walks, etc, but decided to put these on hold for the time being.
9. Planning for 2013:
10. Planning for 2014:
Rod wishes the council to acknowledge Brock’s terrific job at identifying teachers and bringing opportunities to our attention. Much of the success of our retreat program is due to Brock’s excellent work.
11. Brock will contact Ayya Mehdanandi, a female monastic from the Ottawa area and invite her to lead the November 16, 17 retreat in 2013.
12. Courses in 2012:
13. Charging and Scholarships for Courses: It was agreed that teachers offering the courses will be responsible for collecting fees. Rent will be paid by the sangha and the teacher will reimburse the sangha for the rent.
June Fukushima moved that scholarships be offered for introductory courses and that they be an exception to our policy and be offered to newcomers to our sangha. This will be reviewed in a year. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented. The scholarships offered will be for 30% of the maximum of the sliding scale course fee.
14. The next meeting will be held at the home of Rod House on September 3 at 1 p.m.
The meeting terminated at 3:35
Brock Brown, Chair John Hilditch, Secretary