Apple Walnut Spice Muffins
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For Crumble Topping:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
For Spiced Glaze:
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- In a medium bowl, toss diced apples with sugar. Pour oil over the top, stir well, and set aside at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin papers
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and walnuts. Set aside.
- Stir milk, egg, and vanilla into the apple mixture until smooth. Stir in the prepared flour mixture until moistened.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 22-25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 10 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the muffins are cooling, combine all of the ingredients for the spiced glaze. Drizzle over each muffin and allow the icing to dry before serving.
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com