Chipotle Bean Burgers
Makes 8 patties
* 1 yellow onion, diced finely
* 1 carrot, grated
* 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
* 2 chipotle peppers in adobe, seeded and minced
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can of pinto beans
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can of black beans
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1. Heat a small pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and chipotle pepper and saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Mash the pinto and black beans in a large bowl. Stir in the onion mixture, salt, oregano and cumin.
3. Sprinkle the wheat gluten a little at a time over the bean mixture and knead. Continue adding the gluten a little at a time and kneading until all is incorporated. You should knead no longer than 5 minutes.
4. Shape mixture into 8 patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Coat each patty with cooking spray or brush oil on each patty.
5. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until browned and heated through.