1 Large onions, sliced thin
1 teaspoon oil
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 Large pepper
1 tablespoon oil
½ cup vegetable stock
1 teaspoon beef flavoring
few pinches of dried: parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary
4 SteaK Seitan, sliced thin on the bias, about ½-inch wide
2 tablespoons oil
salt and fresh ground pepper
4 soft Italian rolls
1. For the Onions: Heat the onions, oil and salt in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir again, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir again, uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are caramelized, about another 10-20 minutes.
2. For the Peppers: Heat the peppers, oil and salt in a medium saute pan on medium heat. Cook and stir the peppers until they are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. For the Au Jus: Heat the stock, beefy flavoring, parsley, thyme, oregano, salt, rosemary and pepper in a small sauce pan. Whisk well to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep warm until needed. Season with salt and pepper.
4. For the Sandwich: Heat the oil in a large cast iron pan on medium-high heat. Add the SteaK and cook and stir until golden. Add the au jus, stir and cook until the au jus has evaporated.
5. Warm the rolls in a toaster oven or oven, wrapped in foil. Split the rolls.
Divide the seitan among the rolls, top with onions and peppers, drown in cheese sauce and serve.
Zsu Dever © Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.