Chat Activity Moodle ISU
The Moodle ISU chat tool is a text based communication tool similar to instant messaging. Chat allows you and your students to communicate synchronously. This tool is commonly used for creating virtual office hours or online chat class meetings.
This guide will show you how to:
Add a Chat Activity
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- In the week/topic you wish to add the resource, Click Add an activity or resource
- Select Chat
- Click Add
- In the Name of this chat room field, Type the name of the chat. This is what students will see on the course homepage.
- In the Description text field, Type any information about the chat.
- Check the box if you want the description to display on the course page.
- From the Next chat time dropdown menus, Select the desired dates and times of the next chat session.
Note: Setting a Next chat time will not restrict the activity. It will still be available to students at other dates and times.
- Use the Repeat/publish session times dropdown menu to select how the chat activity will repeat/publish.
- Don’t publish any chat times - The dates of the Next chat time setting will not be published to the Moodle ISU calendar.
- No repeats – publish the specified time only - Only the time specified in the Next chat time fields will be added to the calendar.
- At the same time every day - This will publish the designated chat time everyday based on the time you selected for the Next chat time in the Moodle ISU calendar.
- At the same time every week - This will publish a chat time for the same day and time every week in the Moodle ISU calendar.
- From the Save past sessions dropdown menu, Select how long you would like to keep transcripts of this chat activity.
- From the Everyone can view past sessions dropdown menu, Select if students can also view past sessions.
Common module settings
- Choose whether to Show or Hide the Page (default is Show)
- Enter an ID number only if you want a way of identifying the activity for grade calculation purposes. If the activity is not included in any grade calculation then the ID number field may be left blank.
For more information, see Groups and Groupings
For more information, see Restrict Access
- Click Save and return to course to return to the course homepage.
- Click Save and display to be taken to the activity.
- Click Cancel to delete the activity.
Use Your Chat Activity
The chat activity helps you to communicate with your students synchronously. There are two options on how to enter chat.
- Select the chat activity on your course homepage.
- You will be given two options:
- Click here to enter the chat now
- If you select this option, a pop-up or new window will appear.
- At the bottom of the page, Type a message into the small box.
- Click Send.
Note: Pressing the Enter key on the keyboard will also send the message.
- Use more accessible interface - using this option works better with screen readers and slower internet connections.
- If you select this option, a new window or a pop-up will appear.
- In the box below Send message, Type a message.
- Click Submit.
Note: If other participants are already inside of the chat room, you will see them listed on the right side of the chat room window.
Use Additional Chat Features
- Smileys - Any smiley faces (emoticons) that you can type elsewhere in Moodle ISU can also be typed in the chat and they will be displayed correctly.
- For example, :-) =
- Links - URLs will be turned into links automatically.
- Emoting - You can start a line with "/me " to emote.
- For example, if your name is Kim and you type "/me laughs!" then everyone will see "Kim laughs!"
- Beeps - You can send a beep sound to other people by clicking the beep link next to their name.
- A useful shortcut to beep all the people in the chat at once is to type beep all.
- HTML - You can use HTML code in your text to do things like insert images, play sounds or format your text.
For more information, see Chat Module
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.