Chat Activity Moodle ISU
The Moodle ISU 2 chat tool is a text based communication tool similar to instant messaging. Chat allows you and your students to communicate synchronously. This tool is commonly used for creating virtual office hours or online chat class meetings.
This guide will show you how to:
- Add a Chat Activity
- Edit the Settings on your Chat Activity
- Use your Chat Activity
- Use Additional Chat Features
Add a Chat Activity
- Turn Editing On. For more information on Turning editing on, please see the Moodle ISU Overview.
- In the week/topic you wish to add the resource to, Click the red link Add an activity or resource.
- Click on the radio button next to Chat. Click the Add button. This will take you to the Adding a New Chat page.
Edit the Settings on your Chat Activity
This is the first section of options that are available in the chat activity.
- In the Name of this Chat Room field, Type the name of the Chat. This is what students will see on the course homepage.
- In the Description Text field, Type an introduction or information about the Chat.
- In the Chat Sessions section Click on the Next Chat Time dropdown menus to select the desired date and time.
Note: Setting a Next Chat Time will not restrict the activity. It will still be available to students at other dates and times.
- Click on the Repeat sessions dropdown menu to select the desired option.
- Don’t publish any chat times: The dates of the Next chat time setting will not be published to the Moodle ISU calendar.
- No repeats – publish the specified time only: Only the time specified in the Next Chat Time fields will be added to the calendar.
- At the same time every day: This will publish the designated chat time everyday based on the time you selected for the next chat time in the Moodle ISU calendar.
- At the same time every week: This will publish a chat time for the same day and time every week in the Moodle ISU calendar.
- Click on the Save Past Sessions dropdown menu to select how long you would like to keep transcripts of this chat activity.
- Click on the Everyone Can View Past Sessions dropdown menu to select if students can also view past sessions.
Common Modules Settings
The settings in this section refer to options you have when using Groups and/or Groupings in a course. For more information on groups and groupings, please see Groups and Groupings
Restrict Access and Activity Completion
For more information on conditional release/restricting access, please see Conditional Release/Restricting Access. For more information on activity completion, please see Activity Completion.
- Then click on save and display or save and return to course.
Using the Chat Activity
To enter a chat room, Click on the Chat activity on your course homepage. Two options will show up:
Click Here to Enter Chat Now
- Click Click here to enter the chat now. A new window or pop up window will show up.
- Type message into the small box at the bottom of the page.
- Click Send button.
Note: You can also press enter to send the message.
Use More Accessible Interface
The Use more accessible interface works better with screen readers and may be helpful for others with visual or processing problems.
- Click on the Use more accessible interface. A pop up window will show up.
- Type message in the box located below Send message.
- Click Submit button.
Note: If other participants are already inside of the chat room, you will see them listed on the right side of the chat room window.
Hot Tip: You can change the view of the chat window with the Themes link.
Use Additional Chat Features
- Smiles: Any smiley faces (emoticons) that you can Type elsewhere in Moodle ISU 2 can also be typed in here and they will be displayed correctly. For example, :-) =
- Links: URLs will be turned into links automatically.
- Emoting: You can start a line with "/me" to emote. For example, if your name is Kim and you Type "/me laughs!" then everyone will see "Kim laughs!"
- Beeps: You can send a “beep” sound to other people by Clicking the "beep" link next to their name. A useful shortcut to beep all the people in the chat at once is to Type "beep all".
- HTML: You can use HTML code in your text to do things like insert images, play sounds or format your text.
For more information, please see http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Chat_module
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.