New York University, Elmer Holmes Bobst Library
70 Washington Square South, New York, NY, 10012
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D., Nanotechnology and Materials Chemistry, The Graduate Center of the City University of New York, 2006
Dissertation Topic: Nonlinear Optical Switching Properties of Dye-Doped Composite Films
Adviser: Dr. Daniel L. Akins
B. A., Chemistry, Queens College-City University of New York, Queens, NY, 2001
- UV-VIS, emission, Raman, FT-IR spectroscopies and fluorescence microscopy.
- High quality sol-gel derived thin film preparation by spin-, dip-, and drop-coating.
- Thin film characterization using AFM, ellipsometry, and reflectometry.
- Time-resolved characterization using a picosecond streak camera, nanosecond single photon counting, and femtosecond pump-probe system.
- Chemical sensor development and evaluation using compact fiber optic spectrometers.
- Molecular probe design and characterization.
- Adjunct faculty in the New York City College of Technology’s Chemistry department.
- Taught college chemistry for high school students.
- Mentored several undergraduate and graduate students, majoring in the fields of electrical engineering, computer science, and chemistry.
Lead Programmer/Analyst, New York University, Summer 2008 - Current
Post Doctoral Research Scientist, Columbia University, Spring 2006 - Spring 2008
Research Assistant, City College of New York, Fall 2001- Spring 2006
Research Intern, Electro-Optics and Photonics (EOP) Division of Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD) at the Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD. Summer 2002, 2003.
Development of custom Java based programs for instrument control and data management, analysis, and visualization. Also created an interactive web-based laboratory information management system which allows for the tracking of supplies, chemicals, purchases, group meetings, and publications.
- "A covalently linked phenanthridine-ruthenium(II) complex as a RNA probe" Naphtali A. O'Connor, Nathan Stevens, Diana Samaroo, Marissa R. Solomon, Marti, Joanne Dyer, Harshard Vishwasrao, Daniel L. Akins, Eric R. Kandel, and Nicholas J. Turro Chemical Communications (2009), 19, 2640-2642.
- "FLEth RNA intercalating probe is a convenient reporter for small interfering RNAs" Ingrid M. van der Wiel, Jenny Cheng, Roger Koukiekolo, Rodney K. Lyn, Nathan Stevens, Naphtali O'Connor, Nicholas J. Turro and John Paul Pezacki J. AM. CHEM. SOC. (2009), 131, 9872-9873.
- "Two-Color RNA Intercalating Probe for Cell Imaging Applications" Nathan Stevens, Naphtali O'Connor, Harshad Vishwasrao, Diana Samaroo, Eric R. Kandel, Daniel L. Akins, Charles M. Drain, and Nicholas J. Turro J. AM. CHEM. SOC. (2008), 130, 7182-7183.
- "Pyrene Excimer Signaling Molecular Beacons for Probing Nucleic Acids" Patrick Conlon, Chaoyong J. Yang, Yanrong Wu, Yan Chen, Karen Martinez, Youngmi Kim, Nathan Stevens, Angel A. Marti, Steffen Jockusch, Nicholas J. Turro, and Weihong Tan J. AM. CHEM. SOC. (2008), 130, 336-342.
- "Inorganic-Organic Hybrid Luminescent Binary Probe for DNA Detection Based on Spin-Forbidden Resonance Energy Transfer", Angel A. Martı´, Cindy A. Puckett, Joanne Dyer, Nathan Stevens, Steffen Jockusch, Jingyue Ju J., Nicholas J. Turro AM. CHEM. SOC. (2007), 129, 8680-8681.
- "FRETView: a computer program to simplify the process of obtaining fluorescence resonance energy transfer parameters" Nathan Stevens, Joanne Dyer, Angel Martí, and Nicholas J. Turro Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences (2007), 6, 909-911.
- "Fluorescent hybridization probes for sensitive and selective DNA and RNA detection" Angel A. Martí, Steffen Jockusch, Nathan Stevens, Jingyue Ju, Nicholas J. Turro Accounts of Chemical Research (2007), 40, 402-409.
- "Design and Characterization of Two-Dye and Three-dye Binary Fluorescence Probes for mRNA Detection" Angel A. Martí, Xiaoxu Li, Steffen Jockusch, Nathan Stevens, Zengmin Li, Bindu Raveendra, Sergey Kalachikov, Irina Morozova, Daniel L. Akins, Jingyue Ju, and Nicholas J. Turro Tetrahedron (2007), 63, 3591-3600.
- "Dye-doped Inorganic/Organic Composite Films as Fluorescence Sensors for Methanol Vapor" Nathan Stevens, Daniel L. Akins Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical (2007), 123, 59-64.
- "Combinatorial Fluorescence Energy Transfer Molecular Beacons for Probing DNA/RNA Sequences" Xiaoxu Li, Zengmin Li, Angel Marti, Steffen Jockusch, Nathan Stevens, Daniel L. Akins, Nicholas J. Turro, and Jingyue Ju Photochem Photobiol. Sci. (2006), 5, 896-902.
- "Spectroscopic Investigation of a FRET Molecular Beacon Containing Two Fluorophores for Probing DNA/RNA Sequences" Steffen Jockusch, Angle A. Marti, Nicholas J. Turro, Zengmin Li, Xiaoxu Li, Jingyue Ju, Nathan Stevens, and Daniel L. Akins. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. (2006), 5, 493-498.
- 2009-Sustainable Archives Conference August 11 - 16, 2009 Austin, Texas, USA 2009 (invited).
- 2006-Urban University Conference Series May 5 - 6, 2006 New York, NY, USA 2006 (invited).
- Presented at the 37th ACS Middle Atlantic Regional Meeting, Piscataway, NJ, USA 2005.
- NSF/IGERT Mini-symposium (invited), Poconos, Skytop, PA, USA, 2003.
University Fellowship. Awarded Fall 2001-Spring 2003
Dean K. Harrison (NSF). Awarded Fall 2001-Spring 2003
American Chemical Society (since 2003)
New York Academy of Sciences (since 2004)