This makes a beautiful dish for company, and is especially appealing if you use more than one color of tomato. Serve it with a side of roasted asparagus for a light breakfast. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you can cook your vegetables in a skillet, then transfer them to a lightly oiled pie pan, and bake it in that.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 medium sweet potato, grated (leave the skin on)
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened nut or seed milk (hemp, almond, etc.)
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon packed fresh basil, minced
2 large tomatoes, sliced in thin rounds
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and sauté the onions for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add the sweet potato, carrot, zucchini, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of water. Stir briefly, then turn heat to medium-low and put a top on the skillet. Allow to cook for 15 minutes, adding 2 more tablespoons of water about halfway through.
- While the vegetables are cooking, whisk together the eggs, milk, oregano, and salt. Mince the basil and slice your tomatoes so you’re ready to add them as soon as the vegetables are done.
- After 15 minutes, take the skillet off the heat and pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetables. Sprinkle the basil evenly and layer the tomatoes on top. Add freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Find the original recipe at The Daily Dietribe.