Martha Stewart's Oreo Cookies and Cream Cheesecakes
makes 24 cupcakes
3 packets of oreo biscuits*
2 blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream (may be substituted with natural plain yogurt)**
Pinch of salt
* 1 packet of oreo contains 14 cookies so altogether there will be 42 cookies. 24 cookies to be used as base. 14 cookies will be chopped and added into the cake batter. The remaining 4 cookies will be used as topping.
** I noticed sour cream is not readily available in all supermarkets. Here, I can only buy sour cream at Supasave. Plain yogurt is the best and easiest substitute for sour cream.
- Roughly chop 1 packet of oreo into small chunks. Place 4 cookies in a plastic bag and whack them using a wooden spoon until they resemble coarse and dark chocolaty goodness. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees celcius. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Place 1 whole oreo cookie in the bottom of each lined cup. No need to scrap out the filling.
- With an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat cream cheese until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Gradually add sugar, and beat until fully combined. Beat in vanilla.
- Pour in the lightly beaten eggs little by little, beating to combine and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in yogurt and salt. Make sure the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Stir in the chopped/crushed cookies.
- Divide batter evenly among cookie-lined cups using a big ice cream scoop, filling each almost to the top.
- Bake until filling is set, for approximately 22 minutes depending on your oven. Once the cupcakes are cool, refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Top the cupcake with frosting of your choice and decorate them with crushed Oreo cookies.