WOW Dashboards With Multi-Link Operations
Web Object Wizard (WOW) has an optional plug-in called “WOW Fusion Charts” which enables users to develop dynamic dashboards.
This document will describe a technique available as of WOW 6.5.05 which allows operations to be linked or dependant on one another.
WOW Multi-Link Dashboards
In the picture above, 3 operations are linked and New York (NY) has been single clicked. The operation on the left, allows a single “state” to be selected using a single mouse click. When the user selects a state, both operations on the right will be updated reflecting the selected state. The upper right operation shows all customers in the selected state. The lower right shows the distinct cities in the selected state. This example is purposely simple although this technique can be used for numerous multi-lined operations.
Setup a Multi-Link Dashboard
WOW Fusion provides the dashboard functionality. You must have a WOW Fusion installed with a valid license to implement this feature. Refer to WOW Fusion documentation for specific setup options: http://www.planetjavainc.com/documentation/webhelp/WOWFusionCharts/Default.htm
1. Create an Execution Group Operation. This operation will be the overall dashboard and control all the individual operations housed inside of it.
2. Create a standard SQL operation for state selection (left hand operation):
3. Create the “Customers In State” operation with usage id 200.
4. Create the “Cities In State” operation with usage id 205.
a. SELECT Distinct state, city FROM QIWS.QCUSTCDT where STATE = ??!STATE
The State Selection operation declared a wow action called “Select” to run when the user performs a single click on the rows. The “SelectRow” java class is called and sets global variables for each field which is declared as a global variable in its field descriptor. SelectRow re-executes all operations. The operations can reference the “current” value of a global variable using ??!FieldName. The user interface is updated with the results of the re-execution.
1. You can include and reference multiple global variables.
2. SQL Function called COALESCE can be used to supply a value if a global variable is not set. For example, you could display ALL customers in all states until a particular state is selected using:
a. SELECT cusnum, lstnam, state, baldue FROM QIWS.QCUSTCDT where STATE = COALESCE (??!STATE, STATE)
3. Operations may include charts.
4. Operation titles and instructions can include dynamic global variables. For example: Customers in: ??!STATE
5. WOW 6.5.05 is required.
6. Global variables are set when a row is edited, inserted, or deleted and when an association is run.