THE CHIMES // Photo Editor
Applications due via email to Melissa Hedrick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Label each page with your name, major, phone, email and year.
- What kind of experience in journalism, art and/or leadership do you have that you feel will assist you in being the photo editor? (Please list all coursework that is applicable, high school newspaper experience, Chimes experience, and job-related experience.)
- What is your projected date of graduation? (Only students graduating May 2017 and later will be considered, as the position is one year in length.)
- How familiar are you with taking photojournalistic shots as opposed to posed photos?
- Describe your leadership style and skills.
- How would you work with the web photo editor to ensure a communicative, healthy relationship?
- The Chimes produces dozens of stories each week. What are some action steps you would take to make sure that each story gets covered well?
- Do you feel comfortable giving “orders” to other photographers? Are you flexible enough to take assignments at the last minute?
- The Chimes is a web-first publication, meaning photos for stories must be captured and edited every day. How would you handle a job that is somewhat constant and unpredictable?
- What is your vision/goal for the paper photo-wise? What is your goal for The Chimes Online?
- This position may take 10-15 hours of your week. Does this work with your class schedule, and can you handle the time commitment? (Please fill out your anticipated work schedule on the attached sheet).
- How familiar are you with PhotoShop and InDesign?
- How familiar are you with concepts of layout design?
- Do you have trouble staying organized, being on time or remembering assignments and deadlines? What is your method for staying organized?
- Please submit a CD or online portfolio of your ten best photos.
- What kind of camera do you have?
- Include a faculty recommendation from someone familiar with you and your photography.
- Attach at least three samples. Published works are acceptable, or photos made for journalism/PR courses.
- Interviews will be scheduled individually, and we will go over your portfolio. Make sure your contact information is located at the top of your application.