Library service began in the Palms community on a volunteer basis in 1916 when two ladies, Mrs. Gonzales and Mrs. Patton, housed the books in their home. When the books began taking up more space and time, the library was moved into a drugstore and later into a general store.
November 1925 (Photo: Security Pacific National Bank Collection)
In 1922, a small building at 10306 Woodbine Street became the permanent home for the library, which quickly flourished as a community center. Materials and programs outgrew the bungalow branch and story-hours for children took place outside on the lawn on sunny days. To accommodate growing crowds, the library underwent on expansion in 1930 which doubled the floor space and added a story-hour room and staff work room.
1945 (Photo: Security Pacific National Bank Collection)
Palms Branch (later renamed Palms-Rancho Park Branch) of the Los Angeles Public Library, in 1945, after building was enlarged.
October 1963 (Photo: Security Pacific National Bank Collection)
Groundbreaking for the Palms-Rancho Park Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library (formerly Palms Branch) in October 1963, in which the architectural rendering is being held to the left. Linda Wallace, age 3, scans a book while her elders break ground for the library on Overland Ave. between Pico and National Blvds. From left are Councilwoman Rosalind Wyman; Ralph Grogdon and Bill Rust of the Westwood Gardens Civic Assn.; Bill Highes of the Palms Chamber of Commerce; and Eloise Gillham, of the Rancho Park Chamber of Commerce.
(Photo: Security Pacific National Bank Collection)
On Aug. 12, 1964, after years of struggling to find funding, the community celebrated the opening of a new 6,400 square foot Palms-Rancho Park Branch Library at 2920 Overland Avenue, the present site.
Now nearly 40 years later (11/25/02 opening), another improvement is added to the branch’s history with the demolition of the old building and construction of a new 10,5000 square foot, two story building with parking. The facility offers multiple computers with access to the Los Angeles Public Library’s Web site, catalog, a vast array of databases and the Internet. Other features include special areas for children, teens, adults, and a multipurpose meeting room.
Charles Walton Associates designed the new building. B.J. Krivanek and Joel Breaux created the art project, “The Library and Its Community,” which features inscriptions adorning the interior and exterior corner glass windows of the children’s storytelling area.
The project was funded by Proposition DD, the 1998 Library Construction Bond.