Potato Skin Tacos
Makes 16 tacos
* 8 russet potatoes
* 1 package of vegan cheddar cheese, shredded finely
* 1 15 oz of black beans, drained and rinsed
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 lb yellow onion, diced
* 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 Tb of sauce, or more to taste
* 1/4 cup vegetable broth or white wine
* 1 corn, roasted over the stove
* 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
* 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
* 1/2 pasilla pepper, diced ( or any other type of medium heat pepper, such as Jalapeño or Anaheim )
1. Rinse and scrub the potatoes really well until no more dirt remains on its skin.
2. Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork, wrap in foil, and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes, until they are soft enough to be easily pierced with a knife.
3. Meanwhile, start preparing the beans. In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, combine the olive oil and garlic. Allow the garlic to sizzle for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and fry until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chipotles and their sauce and the vegetable broth, stir and simmer for 1 minute. Add the black beans, bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed but beans are still moist, about 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow beans to cool.
4. When your potatoes are finished baking, remove them from the oven, unwrap, slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, and let cool.
5. When potatoes are cool enough to touch, start scooping the flesh out of baked potatoes. Be careful not to break the skin. ( The extra potato flesh that you just scooped out will not be needed for this recipe and can be kept aside )
6. You can either start loading the potatoes now or return them to the oven for a slightly crispier texture. To bake again, spray a little olive oil on the outer skin of the potatoes. Return them back to the oven, skin side up, at 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the skin is at your desired level of crispy-ness.
7. To serve the potato tacos, spoon a little of each filling into the potato ( black beans, corn, bell pepper and pasilla pepper ) and top with vegan cheddar cheese.
Optional - Top each potato taco with your favorite salsa.