1 ½ lbs firm ripe tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups or 6 small-medium tomatoes)
1 large jalapeno chili, seeds and ribs removed
½ cup red onion, coursely chopped
1 small clove garlic (1/4 tsp minced garlic)
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
½ tsp salt
pinch ground pepper
1 TB lime juice (about 1 lime)
1 tsp white sugar
1. Slice the tomatoes, place on a double layer of paper towels, lightly salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Press tops of tomatoes with another double layer of paper towels to remove more liquid.
3. Add the tomatoes to a food processor with jalapeno, onion, garlic and cilantro. Pulse to desired consistency.
4. If desired: Place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and line the sieve with a paper towel. Drain the salsa through the paper towel lined sieve lined with a paper towel to extract additional liquid.
5. Stir in salt, pepper, sugar nd lime juice.
6. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.