Streusel Topped Fresh Blueberry Muffins
free of gluten, casien/dairy, and soy
created by Carrie Forbes, author of Gingerlemongirl.com
2/3 cup arrowroot starch
2/3 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup rice or soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil, melted coconut oil, melted butter, or margarine
3 tablespoons brown rice flour
2 tablespoons GF oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vegan margarine
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1-3 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, applesauce, rice milk, heart healthy oil or melted butter and sugar. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and fold just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
- In another bowl whip egg whites until stiff. SLOWLY fold the whipped egg whites into the muffin batter. (If you still see streaks or clumps of egg white that is OKAY, it does NOT have to be completely incorporated!)
- Spoon batter into a greased or paper-lined muffin tins (makes 10-11 large/ bakery-sized muffins or 24 mini-muffins).
- In a small bowl, mix together streusel topping ingredients. Sprinkle over unbaked muffins.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes. Depending on the temperature of your oven, you may have to bake muffins longer. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you hit a blueberry while testing it will stain your toothpick purple! As long as additional crumbs are not sticking to the toothpick the muffins are done!!
- Cool muffins on a wire rack.
- Mix glaze ingredients together. Only add enough orange juice to give the glaze the consistency you desire. Drizzled on completely cooled muffins. Enjoy!
All Rights Reserved. COPYRIGHT © 2007-2011 Gingerlemongirl.com
Do not republish without permission from Carrie Forbes @ firstname.lastname@example.org