Cabbage Rolls with Brown Basmati Rice
Makes 8 cabbage rolls
* 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup diced zucchini
* 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
* 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
* 3/4 cup vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup bulgur
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 large head cabbage
* 6 tablespoons Soy Parmesan cheese, divided
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce ( I use The Wizard's Organic Vegan Worcestershire )
* 1 cup Brown Basmati Rice, cooked as directed on package ( I use Village Harvest Brown Basmati )
1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or unless most of the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside eight large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut about 1 inch across the bottom of each leaf to remove its thick vein.
3. Stir 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and lemon juice into vegetable mixture.
4. Place about 3 to 4 Tablespoons of the vegetable mixture on each cabbage leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll to completely enclose filling. Start placing each roll in a large cassarole dish.
5. In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
6. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining Soy Parmesan cheese.