Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon candied ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted chopped cashews
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper, and chicken and sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Add 1 cup pineapple chunks to pan; cook 30 seconds. Reserve remaining pineapple for garnish. In a two cup measuring cup, whisk together the reserved 1/2 cup juice, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar until smooth.
- Return chicken mixture to pan. Stir in juice mixture; bring to boil. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cashews.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com