Mushroom and Spinach Quiche
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon gold (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Two 5-ounce containers baby spinach
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a 9-inch glass pie dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Using a food processor fitted with a shredding attachment, shred the potatoes; transfer to a large bowl and stir in the onion, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the potato mixture, flattening it into a 10-inch layer, and cook until the bottom is golden, about 10 minutes. Loosen, then invert onto the pie dish (brown side up) and mold into a crust. Bake about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the skillet over high heat. Add the spinach and 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring, until wilted; drain; set aside. Once cool, squeeze out any excess water with hands and then wrap in paper towels and squeeze again. Chop the spinach.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach; season with salt. Spoon half of the spinach mixture into the crust, add the Swiss and Parmesan cheese, then top with the remaining spinach mixture.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg. Pour into the pie dish and bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com