UB ALA Meeting Minutes
Thursday, September 16, 2010
6:00 PM 543 Charles B. Sears Law Library
1. Welcome and Call to Order (6:07 PM)
- For regular updates about our activities and information about local opportunities for professional development, please follow our blog: http://ubstudentala.wordpress.com
- Becca explained what can be found on our website. You can find our meeting minutes, past and upcoming events, professional development opportunities, ALA/NYLA membership form, our constitution, etc.
2. ALA/NYLA Business
- You receive a full year membership benefits which include updates on conferences, ALA magazines, email correspondence, professional development opportunities.
- It looks good on a resume if you are an official member of ALA.
- Remember to pay your membership dues if you’re already a member. -It costs $35 for a joint student membership for ALA and NYLA.
3. Treasurer’s Report
- Beginning Balance: $509.26
- 5/10 Hire Me! Workshop - M. Zafron - $50.00
- 5/18 Hire Me! Workshop - D. Hendricks - $50.00
- 5/12 Hire Me! Workshop Copy Fees - $88.90
- 5/12 Transition of Power Dinner - $167.00
- 8/4 J.Cassamassa - CPC Magazines (previously encumbered) - $50.00
- Tote Bag Sales/Tote Bag Shipping - $69.95
- ALA Reimbursement - $100.00
- Ending Balance as of 9/16/2010: $273.31
4. New Business
- Welcome New Members!
- UB ALA’s Facebook presence
- We had a Facebook group called American Library Association - University at Buffalo but we have switched to UB ALA. If you’re a member of the previous group please switch to the UB ALA group.
- Linda Yalem Safety Run- Sunday, September 26 at 9:30 AM
- This run is on campus and UB ALA would pay money to participate. It is a run to raise money for charity towards safety awareness and rape prevention at UB. If you are interested in participating please let us know. You can also participate as an individual as well. For more information you can go to: http://lindayalemrun.buffalo.edu/aboutus.php
- Halloween Bake Sale - October TBA
- We are planning to hold our first bake sale of the semester on Tuesday, October 26 from 9 AM to 5 PM in the Baldy Hall lobby. If you are interested in volunteering your time please let us know. If you can’t volunteer time we would love to have you bake or donate books so that we can sell the baked goods and books. If you can’t drop off the baked goods the day of the bake sale then you can leave them in the LIS Student Lounge (the pass code is 534). Please individual wrap the baked goods into $1 portions.
- Idea of a chocolate fountain was passed around - Jaqui will check and see if that is allowed.
- Thanksgiving Bake Sale - November TBA
- We are hoping to hold the November bake sale on Tuesday, Novemeber 23rd from 9 AM till 5 PM in the Baldy Hall lobby. We will have sign up sheets for baking and/or volunteering to sit at the table at a later date.
- Wine and Cheese Networking Soriee - TBA
- Tentative date is Saturday, December 11, 2010 and time and place is TBD. It is a networking event that we gather to discus LIS opportunities and questions that we may have as a group or as individuals.
- ALA will provide snacks (cheese, fruits, crackers).
- Please feel free to bring your own wine/beer to share with the group.
- Grant Street Library needs volunteers
- Several people were interested in the opportunity to volunteer at the Grant Street Library and Nicole LaMoreaux will contact Brenda Battleson to discuss further measures to arrange times to volunteer.
- Once times are arranged we will send out an email on the list serv as well as put information on the UB ALA website.
- Professional Development Workshop - Decemeber TBA
- Several ideas were discussed: Hire Me! Workshop with M. Zafron and D. Hendricks (charging the students to attend?), partnering with SLAB to hold a professional development workshop, have LIS professionals come to share their experiences with the UB ALA group.
- It would most likely be held on a Saturday towards the end of the Fall semester.
- If you have any other suggestions please email us and let us know.
5. Announcements/Other Business
- The tote bags say ‘Mad Library Scientist’ and are good quality tote bags for $10. They can be purchased through Aimee Levesque, our treasurer.
- Conferences and seminars:
- It costs $40 for a student membership. Most workshops will be free if you’re a member but some do cost extra. If you are not a member you can still attend workshops but you must pay a fee. You can also submit papers and research that you have completed for past courses to be published in the WNYLRC journal.
- MLA/UNYOC 2010 Conference
- This year the conference will be held in Syracuse.
- ASIS&T 2010 Annual Meeting - Early Bird registration until 9/17
- This year the conference will be held in Pittsburgh, PA. Please double check that it is still being held as a letter was sent out recently about maybe having to be cancelled due to the Pittsburgh Hilton declaring bankruptcy.
- NYLA 2010 Conference
- Remeber GSA funding for conference attendence
- Arrange carpooling and room-sharing through UB ALA!
- These are all great networking opportunities!
- Canisius College, Read-Out! It’s Your Right - 9/28-10/1 - noon to 1:30 PM
- Canisius College won a grant for their proposal for Banned Books Week. They are having local librarians come and read passages from their favorite banned/challenged book.
- Brenda Battleson will be reading during this and if you’re interested in supporting our faculty /local librarians you should go and check out the event.
- Ryan Luce will talk to Professor Nesset and see if there are future opportunities for UB ALA members to volunteer for the WNY CPC.
- Held in the spring, great opportunity to practice and present your papers and/or posters completed during the school year.
6. Next Meeting - TBA
- Wednesday, October 13 at 5 PM. Location will decided soon.
7. Dates to Remember
- MLA/UNYOC 2010 Conference - October 13-15 - Syracuse, NY
- ASIS&T 2010 Annual Meeting - October 22-27 - Pittsburgh, PA
- NYLA 2010 Conference - November 3-6 - Saratoga Springs, NY
- There was talk of carpooling and sharing lodging. If you’re interested please let us know and we will try and let you know who is going so that you can arrange this for yourself.
- ALA 2010 Annual Midwinter Meeting - January 7-11 -San Diego, CA
8. Adjournment (7:03 PM)