Cuban Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans black beans, liquid drained and reserved
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and green pepper, and saute until lightly browned. Add garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano and salt. Sauté until spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add half of the reserved bean liquid and simmer until all previous ingredients are soft.
- Add the beans and the remaining liquid and simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Adjust seasonings and add red wine vinegar. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Yields: 6 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com