Mysore Birding Diary (43): November 2010 – April 2011
S/s. Sadananda KB, Vijayalaxmi, Sheshagiri BR, Michaelsen T, Tanuja DH, Girija T, Sahana M, Dr. Krishi, Ashwin Bhat, Anush Shetty, Kum. Neeti and from Bangalore, Dr. Subramanya
A. November 2010:
- Bhagamandala-Talakaveri, Kodagu District (Coorg), Karnataka
- Finally met with Lesser Coucal Centropus bengalensis
- Grey Wagtail Motacilla cinerea was playing with scooter mirror in busy Madakeri bus stand.
- Interesting birds sighted: Ruby-throated Bulbul Pycnonotus melanicterus gularis, Black-naped Oriole Oriolus chinensis, Large-billed Leafwarbler Phylloscopus magnirostris, Tickell’s Warbler Phyllocopus affinis
- Interesting butterflies: Common Imperial Cheritra freja and Blue Admiral Kaniska canace
- For details, please visit -https://picasaweb.google.com/adavanne/BhagamandalaTalakaveri
- Nalkunda kere, Kotebetta hillock and Palkere at foothill, Melkote Temple Sanctuary, Mandya District
- Eurasian Wigeon Anas penelope (500+), Blur-rock Thrush Monticola solitarius, Eurasian Tree Pipit Anthus trivialis, Sirkeer malkoha Phaenicophaeus leschenaultii
- Tragedy is beautiful lake Kotebetta has become dumping sewage outlet from Nagamangala Town
- Jamnagar and Dwaraka, Gujarath
- Effortless birding in Gujarat with Nature India Group partly and rest on our own.
- List of ‘Birds sighted during Jamnagar & Dwaraka visit in Gujarat’ forwarded to bngbirds
- For details, please visit- https://picasaweb.google.com/adavanne/ EffortlessBirdingInAroundJamnagar? authkey=Gv1sRgCJam3Zz6ia-RJQ
- Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Mumabi Suburb, Maharashtra
- Interesting sightings -Yellow-throated Sparrow Petronia xanthocollis, Booted Eagle Hieraaetus pennatus, Large Cuckoo Shrike Coracina macei, Humes Warbler Phylloscopus humei
- List of ‘Karnala birds 04.12.2010’ forwarded to bngbirds
- Small Green Barbet Megalaima viridis is listed in our bird sighting; however, it has been told that Barbet has not been recorded so far here. Needs to cross check and thoroughly observe the Barbets during next visits.
B. December 2010:
1. Muddanahalli –Mugana kere, Nanjanagudu Taluk, Mysore District
- Mss. Vijayalaxmi has recorded un-successful breeding of White-necked Stork Ciconia episcopus from Mysore Area for the first time. Heavy wind has taken the toll, ripping off the nest with eggs from the tree top.
- Brown-backed Needletail sighted regularly here.
2. Yadavanne, Kunigal Taluk, Tumkur District
- Important sighting -Red –headed bunting Emberiza melanocephala
3. Parappa Garden, Bengaluru
- Mss. Sahana photographed a Red-THROATED Flycatcher Ficedual parva
C. January 2011:
1. Titimati, Coffe plantations adjoining Nagarahole National park, Virajapete Taluk, Kodagu (Coorg)
- Important sightings: Pied Flycatcher Shrike Hemipus picatus , Black-naped Oriole Oriolus chinensis, Hear-spotted Woodpecker Hemicircus canente, White-bellied Blue Flycatcher Cyornis pallipes
2. Sagarakatte, KRS backwaters
- Huge congregation of Small Pratincole (1310+) Glareola lacteal, posted photo to bngbirds
3. Bidalli-Mallalli-Doddakallali betta, Honnamana kere –Belur , Somavara pete Taluk, Kodagu (Coorg)
- Interesting birds -VERDITER FLYCATCHER Eumyias thalassina, BLUE-ROCK TRUSH Monticola solitarius, BROWN-CAPPED PIGMY WOODPECKER Dendrocopos nanus, THICK-BILLED Dicaeum agile & PLAIN FLOWEPECKER Dicaeum concolor, ROSY STALING Sturnus roseus
- Butterflies -NILGIRI TIGER Parantica nilgiriensis, & DARK CERULEAN Jamides bochus
- One of the most dominated species of Karnataka’s western ghat, Nilgirianthus heynianus flowering
- For details, please visit -https://picasaweb.google.com/adavanne/VisitToSomawarapeteSomwarpetKodaguCoorgKarnataka
4. Mysore surroundings
- Re-sighted BROWN-HAWK OWL Ninox scutulata in a tree canopy at kukkarahalli lake
- A Kukkarahlli regular, NIGHT HERON Nycticorax nycticorax missed in two consecutive visits.
- An attempt by a Common Kestrel Falco tinnunculus in the evening hours (1830 hr) within city.
5. Marchalli-Holehundi--Karigala –Parvathana katte, water-bodies situated in HD Kote, Mysore district
- Flock of COMMON ROSEFINCH Carpodacus erythrinus and few individual EURASIAN TREE PIPIT Anthus trivialis
6. Hadinaru tank and surroundings, Nanajagudu Taluk, Mysore district
- BAR-HEADED GOOSE (183 nos) Anser indicus & WHISKERED TERNS Chlidonias hybridus
- Large sized fishes were surfacing in the middle of the water body, as if swallowing something along with community fishing INDIAN SHAG Phalacrocorax fuscicollis & LITTLE CORMORANTS Phalacrocorax niger. (Photo posted to bngbirds)
7. Husainpura, KRS backwaters, KR Nagar Taluk, Mysore District
- GLOSSY IBIS Plegadis falcinellus (140 nos) & , BAR-HEADED GOOSE Anser indicus (27 nos)
8. Sewri Jetty, Mumbai City, Maharashtra
- Thanks to Adesh Shivkar for direction, but reached during lowest tide, wherein birds have moved too far. Around 20,000 FLEMINGOs and waders were foraging in far-off distance, on foggy morning.
9. Set off from Mulki and traveled around 8-10 Km in north-west direction in Sea, Dakshina Kannada
- An attempt made to have a glimpse of birds in high seas (Total outing: 6 hours), courtesy Shivashankar.
- Only these birds were sighted in high sea -GREAT CRESTED TERN Sterna bergii (6 nos), CASPIAN TERN Sterna caspia (3 nos) & BROWN-HEAD GULL Larus brunnicephalus (3 nos)
- But in shoreline bounty of, GREAT BLACK –HEADED Larus ichthyaetus & YELLOW-LEGGED GULL Larus cachinnans, , WHIMBREL Numenius phaeopus, SANDERLING Calidris alba
- A GREY HERON Ardea cineria after catching a Snake was releasing and recapturing umpteen times before swallowing (almost half an hour).
- Please visit Shiva’s exhibits in - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shivanayak/ sets/72157625979569598/
10. Muradeshwara Temple town, Uttarakannada
- HOUSE SPARROWS Passer domesticus at home comfortably in temple premises, feeding chick in a decorated ceiling nest. One can find them almost in all old and new temples – Najanagudu, Kolluru, Dhamasthala, Kukke, Shringeri and Murudeshwara.
- A pair of PURPLE SUNBIRDs Nectarinia asiatica were making alarm call flying over its nest when Garden Lizard entered it. Nearby foraging, HOUSE SPARROWs Passer domesticus also joined them to ward off the Lizard. Lizard came out, stood on the branch for sometime and left. Sunbirds stopped alarm call, but didn’t even check the nest after Lizard left, probably nest might be empty.
- LESSER PIED Ceryle rudis (2 nos) & SMALL BLUE KINGFISHER Alcedo atthis (1 no) were fishing in a un-used Kalyani (Sacred Pond) within congested town.
D. February 2011:
1. Alanahalli-Vaddaragudi-Hebballa-Nadappayna kere- Gowri purada kere – Nagappana kere – Santhe kere=Rathnapuri –Devikere, Water bodies in Hunsur Sector
- Based on reported sighting of 1200 BAR-HEADED GOOSE Anser indicus in a single water-body by Ravi and Mohan, set out for birding
- There were 963 (775 +185+3) GOOSE Anser indicus in three different tanks, with Mongolian collar - 97, 99, L6 & SF. Mr Martin Gilbert(scientist in-charge ringing in Mongolia) deliberations on them –all are females & 97 was earlier reported from MAGADI TANK in 2009.
2. Markalu –Kaggalipura-Kunthur -Kalluru-Narasambudhi, water bodies around Mysore
- Sighted around waterbirds (6000+)- GREATER SPOTTED EAGLE Aquila clanga, JACK SNIPE Lymnocryptes minimus, EURASIAN WIGEON Anas penelope, NAKTA Sarkidiornis melantotos, BAR-HEADED GOOSE Anser indicus, & YELLOW WAGTAIL Motacilla flava
- Narasambudhi, Undubutti, Kukkarahlli and Lingambudhi lakes are individually supporting roosting (1000+) population of CATTLE EGRET Bubulcus ibis.
3. Huliyurudurga & Muthurayanakere, Kungal Taluk, Tumkur District
- Happy to find YELLOW-THROATED BULBUL Pycnonotus xantholaemus (2 M & 1 F) after many attempts; a pair of SHAHEEN FALCON Falco peregrinus peregrinator and breeding EGYPTIAN VULTURE Neophron percnopterus were highlights..
- BLACK-BELLIED TERN Sterna acuticauda, NORTHEN PINTAIL Anas acuta, WHITE WAGTAIL Motacilla alba, RUFOUS-TAILED FINCH-LARK Ammomanes phoenicurus in KERE premises.
4. Konanuru, Chamarajanagar District, Vast stretches of grassland and thorn-scrub, Reserved Forest
- MARSHALL’S IORA Aegithina nigrolutea is also present in Mysore area(posted in bngbirds)
- Important sightings: EURASIAN WRYNECK Jynx torquilla, BONNELLI’S EAGLE Hieraaetus fasciatus, & Many BAY-BACKED SHRIKEs Lanius vittatus
E. March 2011:
1. Mysore surroundings
- Nature trail with Sri Subbu in Lingambudhi lake – GREATER PANTED-SNIPE Rostratula benghalensis, PINTAIL SNIPE Gallinago stenura, ASIAN BROWN FLYCATCHER Muscicapa dauurica, & RED-THROATED FLYCATCHER Ficedual parva
2. Ooty, Tamilnadu –Four days birding in tourist destinations
- Flycatchers and Warblers galore -NILGIRI FLYCATCHER Eumyias albicaudata, GREY-HEADED FLYCATCHER Culicicapa ceylonensis, BLACK & ORANGE FLYCATCHER Ficedula nigrorufa, TICKELL’S WARBLER Phyllocopus affinis, LARGE-BILLED LEAF-WARBLER Phylloscopus magnirostris , NILGIRI LAUGHTING THRUSH Garrulax cachinnans , & TYTLER’S LEAF WARBLER Phylloscopus tytleri (posted checklist to bngbirds)
- Butterfly: INDIAN FRITILLARY Argyreus hyperbius
- For details, please visit -https://picasaweb.google.com/adavanne/DiversityInOotyTouristDestinations
3. Dandeli, Uttarakannada, Karnataka (Courtesy: ACF Mallesh B)
- Important sightings -WHITE-BELLIED BLUE FLYCATHCER Cyornis pallipes, BRONZED DRONGO Dicrurus aeneus, BROWN-HAWK OWL Ninox scutulata PEREGREEN FALCON Falco peregrinus, INDIAN CUCKOO Cuculus micropterus (Call-double note, melodius & continuous: cucku- cucku, am I right?)
- Butterflies –GREY COUNT Tanaecia lepidea, MALABAR RAVEN Papilio dravidarum, POINTED CILIATE BLUE Anthene lycaenina
- For details, please visit -https://picasaweb.google.com/adavanne/DandeliSurroundings
F. April 2011:
1. Perambadi-Makutta stretches & Maggula, Virarapete, Kodagu (Coorg), Karnataka
- Many GLASSY TIGERs Parantica aglea were laying eggs.
- Interesting birds – WHITE-BELLIED BLUE FLYCATCHER Cyornis pallipes, U/I BITTERN (just gave a glimpse and afterwards didn’t emerge at all)
2. Yadavanne, Tumkur District
- Pair of RUFOUS-BELLIED BABBLERS Dumetia hyperythra building nest using Eucalyptus dried leaves underneath the thicket of Lantana camara
- LITTLE CORMORANTS Phalacrocorax niger nesting activity in the middle of village Devlapura, Nagamangala Taluk & CATTLE EGRETs Bubulcus ibis in village Yadavanne.
3. Mysore surroundings
- Indian Spotted Eagle Aquila hastata nest building started, again in new Coconut tree, near to the one where it was first found breeding(2001).
3. DANAIDS BUTTERFLY MIGRATION
- Here, it is a very low affair this year, on only two days