Name: Gabe Lambert
Date: 9 – 14 - 2011
Student Number: X00046900
WEB DESIGN Textbook Assignment POINTS: 10
Chapter 6: Multimedia and Interactivity Elements
PART 1. Definitions: Briefly define the following terms:
Multimedia: Some combination of text, images, animation, audio, or video.
Animated GIFs: An animated GIF is a single file in which separate images within multiple animation frames are stored.
Adobe Flash is a tool for creating sophisticated Flash movies on the Web.
Microsoft SilverLight is a browser plug-in technology designed to play the multimedia content found in rich interactive programs.
Frame-by-frame animation is where the designer must change the image manually.
An avatar is an alternative persona or virtual identity.
Gadget: Web site gadgets are small code objects to provide dynamic Web content.
Streaming audio: Audio that begins playing as it is delivered by the server.
Online forms are used to collect information from visitors to your site.
Applets are small programs that are designed to execute in a browser and are sent to a browser as a separate file together with the related Web page.
Blog: An online diary or journal to which readers can add their own commentary.
Live chat: A service that allows Web site visitors to ask questions about products or services in real time.
PART 2 Questions: Answer each of the following briefly, but completely.
1. Streaming Audio: A great streaming media site is Pandora free radio, which offers customized music with no commercials.
List two songs you heard on your Pandora station:
1. Justin Moore – Bait a hook
2. Blake Shelton – Kiss my country ass
NOTE: If you have an IPhone or Ipod Touch, you can download Pandora as an App through the App Store and listen to your stations all the time in any wifi area. It is also available on a number of other mobile phones.
2. Animation: To see an example of Adobe Flash animation:
Go to Hersheys: http://www.hersheys.com
Explore the site, noticing the animation, graphics, table layouts, etc.
Click on RECIPES. In the search box, search for a delicious recipe. Copy and paste the recipe on the last page of this document.
3. Animated GIFs: GIF files can be animated. Find some fun ones you may want to use on your web pages by using GOOGLE IMAGES:
NOTE: Word is unable to display animation; however, if you insert the image in a web page or PowerPoint slide, the animation will appear.
4. Gadgets: To find free gadgets offered by Google, go to http://desktop.google.com/plugins/
List four gadgets you might like to download and what they do.
1. WeatherBug: It tells you the weather in a simple box.
2. Wireless Signal Meter: It gives you information on the strength with wireless signal.
3. Uni FM: It lets you listen to the radio.
4. Gmail: It gives you a direct link to your Gmail account.
6. Blogs: There are blogs about almost anything you can imagine.
BLOGGER: Since you have a gmail account, you can create and maintain your own blogs free with Google’s Blogger web site! Go to http://www.blogger.com to find out more. (Your instructor can provide you information on blogging with BLOGGER; just ask if you are interested.)
7. Shopping Avatar: You can “try on” eyeglass frames at Zenni Optical by uploading a photo of your face and selecting various eyeglass frames. Zenni will place the frames on your face so you can see how they would look on you (this is an example of a “shopping avatar”). You can then order prescription eyeglasses directly from their web site. Take a look: http://www.zennioptical.com/
8. Online Form: To see a short online form, go to WALMART: http://www.walmart.com
1. Recipe from HERSHEYS: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Skill level: Beginner
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup HERSHEY'S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2. ANIMATED GIF IMAGES:
Note: These will not animate here; they must be inserted into a web page or PowerPoint file to view the animation.
3. Walmart New Customer Online Form: