Hot and Sour Soup
* 8 dried wood ear mushrooms ( also known as black fungus )
* 7 dried shiitake mushrooms
* 14 dried tiger lily buds
* 7 cups vegan "chicken" broth ( try Better than Bouillon ) or vegetable stock
* 2 Tb canola oil
* 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated finely
* 1 Tb red chili paste
* 1/2 cup bamboo shoots, diced
* 1/4 cup tamari
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1 tsp salt
* 3/4 tsp pepper
* 1/4 cup rice vinegar
* 3 Tb cornstarch
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 ( 14 ounce ) package of firm tofu, pressed and drained, cubed
* 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
* chopped green onions and cilantro, for garnish
1. Soak the dried mushrooms and tiger lily buds in warm water for 20 minutes.
2. Trim off any tough stems and slice the mushrooms. With your fingers slice the tiger lily buds.
3. Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the ginger, chili paste, mushrooms, lily buds, bamboo shoots and tofu. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the tamari, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar. Pour in wok and toss well.
5. Add stock and bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the tamari, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar.
7. Combine cornstarch with water. Add to the pot and heat until boiling. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
8. Turn off heat and stir in sesame oil.
To Serve - Divide into 6 soup bowls and garnish each bowl with scallions.