Debate Motions 2012-2013
Red Sea Open Eilat, Israel, September 2-6
- R1 This house, as Germany, would immediately cease all reparations to the State of Israel
- R2 THW incentivize employers to hire non-college graduates
- R3 THBT decisions on the legalisation, banning, or limiting of substances, including, but not limited to narcotics, tobacco & alcohol should be left to panels of experts rather than to elected representatives
- R4 THW require any journalist working for a print,TV or radio news organization to have a government.-issued license
- R5 THW force anyone suspected of being a 'stolen child' [under the Argentinian military junta 1976-1983] to undergo DNA testing to establish whether they are indeed stolen children and then make the results public
- R6 THW require all isolated religious communities (eg. Hasidic Jews, Jehova's Witnesses) to give all 18-year-olds a 'Rumspringa' [Amish tradition of sending off 18-y.-olds to live in outside world for 1 year, after which they may chose to return or not]
- Semi THBT all Government Policy Should Follow the Strict Logic of Maximizing Total Happiness
- Final THBT the State of Israel should immediately and publicly end all attempts to capture or kill Nazi war criminals
Roosevelt Academy Open (RA Open), Middelburg, the Netherlands, September 21-22
- R1: THW abolish referenda
- R2: THW not allow immigrants with illiberal values, such as homophobia, to settle in the country
- R3: THW vote for Obama
- R4: THBT western countries should criminalize depictions of the Prophet Muhammed
- R5: THBT sport's governing bodies, such as IOC and FIFA, should allow performance enhancing pharmaceuticals
- Semi: THB the EU should not pay rural subsidies
- Final: THW not use prison to punish non-violent offenders
DDG Master’s Cup 2012, Eisenach, Germany, September 29-30 (translated from German)
- R1: THB in the right of bodily integrity of children
- R2: THW out homosexual football players (or forcibly out those it knows about)
- R3: THW abolish the Beamtenstatus (i.e. a body of exceptions to the laws governing all citizens of the state granted to some categories of civil servants)
- R4: TH chooses immortality
- Semi: TH declares the war on drugs a failure
- Final: THBT it is (fully) sufficient to combat the symptoms
Open de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal, October 5-7 (translated from Portuguese)
- R1: THW prohibit the grievance of religious beliefs
- R2: THW defend that universities give preference to disadvantaged students
- R3: THBT illegal downloading is not criminal
- R4: THW allow private companies to resort to openly discriminatory hiring practices
- Semi: THW recognise the independence of Catalunia
- Final: THB in revolution as a solution to the country’s problems
Edinburgh Cup, Edinburgh, Scotland, October 6-7
- R1: THBT the State should pay for university education
- R2: THW abolish all hate crime laws and instead prosecute according to criminal law
- R3: THS eco-terrorism
- R4: THBT the identity of the artist should be obscured from those who buy and display the art (approximation)
- R5: THW financially incentivize drug and alcohol addicts not to have children
- Semi: THBT in the event of a Syrian border attack on Turkey, NATO should come to the aid of Turkey
- Final: TH welcomes the demise of religion
Alternative Open, Glasgow, Scotland, October 13
- R1: THW ban memory erasing technology (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
- R2: THBT it is legitimate for Replicants to destroy any and all means of replicant production (Bladerunner)
- R3: THW establish an independent 'prawn' state (District 9)
- R4: something about clones being happier if they didn't know they were clones. (Never Let Me Go)
- Final: THW give the 4-5-6 the 10% of children from the bottom of the league tables (Or, THW implement PLEB) (Torchwood: Children of the Earth)
UCL President’s Cup, London, England, October 13
- R1: THBT adults who are not on the organ donor list should not be eligible to receive organ transplants
- R2: THBT players who are found to have racially abused their fellow competitors should be banned for life
- R3: THW ban the depiction of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)
- R4: THW prefer US Presidential candidates to be selected exclusively by party elites
- Final: THBT the LGBT Movement Should Not Out Homosexual Politicians That Publicly Profess Homophobic Views
Dutch Debate Masters, Nyenrode, Breukelen, Netherlands, October 20 (translated from Dutch)
- R1: THW abolish ethical checks on social science experiments
- R2: THBT Turkey should intervene militarily in Syria
- R3: THW set a maximum amount to be spent on health care per QUALY (Quality Adjusted Life Year)
- Final: THBT the judges in Supreme Court should be elected directly by the American people
Gutenberg Cup, Mainz, Germany, October 20-21 (translated from German)
- R1: Should Robin be allowed to drive the Batmobil too?
- R2: Does Snowhite need only one Dwarf?
- R3: Do we need a women’s quota in prison?
- Semi: Do we need an ECO-label for organs?
- Final: Should the Dönertier be placed under environmental protection?
SOAS IV, London, England, October 20-21
- R1: TH regrets the criminalisation of squatting.
- R2: THW allow high-ranked army officials, when in agreement, to reverse decisions made by democratic governments regarding military missions.
- R3: THW fund research into the existence of a violent gene.
- R4: THB that LGBTQI activism in countries with strong anti-gay policies does more harm than good.
- R5: THW abolish all term-limits on the service of elected heads of state.
- Open Quarter: THB it is legitimate for states to deny residence or asylum to immigrants who openly contradict their predominant values.
- Open Semi: You are the British government. You have full guarantee that SAS (special air service) can enter the prison which currently holds the Pussy Riot Girls in Russia and you can remove them safely. THW enter Russia and remove the Pussy Riot Girls from their cells.
- ESL Semi: THW not allow members of the royal family to serve in active combat.
- ESL Final: THB that European States should end all funding for the arts until everyone lives above the national poverty level.
- Open Final: THB the state should actively prosecute sexist and misogynist remarks..
Bogwall (SSDC Novices), Durham, England, October 20
- R1: THW legalise polygamy
- R2: THW financially incentivise voting
- R3: THBT the West should impose sanctions on Israel until it disbands its nuclear programme and relinquishes control of all nuclear weapons
- R4: THW ban protests at any event connected to a military funeral
- Semi: TH supports Scottish independence
- Final: THW out closeted LGBT public figures
Namda Novices, Manchester, England, October 27
- R1: THW, ban national football teams who fans use racist or homophobic chants, from international competition
- R2: THW require local councils to provide sufficient plots for gypsies in spite of local opposition.
- R3: THW allow law enforcement agencies to monitor the phones, emails, internet activity and text messages of anyone who has been convicted of a crime linked to organised crime (as opposed to a hypothetical status quo where permission is granted on a case by case basis, where a judge must approve it based on evidence that the person is currently committing a crime)
- R4: THW force clinically obese children to attend residential weight loss and education camps during the summer holidays
- Semi: THBT western nations should launch pre-emptive air strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities
- Final: THBT in order for full gender equality to be achieved, all images designed to even slightly sexually attract or arouse the viewer must be banned
UCD Novice IV, Dublin, Ireland, October 25
- R1: THBT the right to bear arms is the right to be free
- R2: THBT the world would be a better place if nobody believed in God
- R3: THW ban private healthcare and replace it with a comprehensive public system
- Semi: THB corrupt, benevolent and capable dictatorship is preferable to corrupt and inept democracy
- Final: Context Slide:
- It is the near future
- There is no discernable technological difference from today
- It has been discovered that 0.1% of the world’s population (60 million people) have developed the ability to read the thoughts of those in their immediate proximity. These people are called “psychics”
- “Psychics” can control their ability and choose not to read minds.
- A drug has been developed which suppresses their ability to ever read thoughts. However this drug also causes severe depression.
THW Require the Public Registration of All Psychics and the Suppression of their Abilities with Drugs
UCD Vice-President’s Cup, Dublin, Ireland, October 27-28
- R1: THW allow people in developing countries to sell themselves into slavery
- R2: THW require artists to obtain permission from the subject/muse of a work of art prior to its release
- R3: THW give the ECB a veto over all national budgets within the Eurozone
- R4: As a Parent, THIW Raise its Child Gender Neutral
- R5: THBT it is not the role of a Government to reduce the relative poverty of its citizens
- Semi: THBT the state should, were possible, teach children in their vernacular language
- Final: THBT the UCI should establish a truth and reconciliation commission to deal with doping in cycling
Imperial Open, London, England, October 27
- R1: THBT the West should support a power-sharing deal between the Afghan government and the Taliban
- R2: THBT Latin American countries should use private military contractors to police high crime areas
- R3: THBT the feminist movement should renounce the title of "Feminism"
- R4: THBT in order to be eligible for public funding, art must be subject to a double-blind test, in which it is judged anonymously by an art critic, and by members of the public against the work of a 5-year-old
UCU Open, Utrecht, Netherlands, November 2-3
- R1: THW Remove All UEFA's Limits on Football Club Spending (which includes transfer and salaries).
- R2: THBT the European Union should guarantee membership to regions of member states that secede from their parent state.
- R3: THW fund hymen reconstruction.
- R4: TH Regrets the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan.
- R5: THBT MGM Film Studios should cast a woman as the next James Bond.
- Semi: THBT Japanese Leaders are justified in honouring the Yasukuni War Shrines.
- Final: You are a Liberal leaning journalist covering the White House, you have received exclusive and indisputable evidence that during his college years Barack Obama had an active gay sexual life, THW Publish the Story.
Newcastle IV, Newcastle, England, November 2
- R1: THBT the media should not report on a terrorist attack immediately after the event
- R2: THW introduce irreversible laws to be programmed into robots
- R3: THW take charitable status away from religious institutions that do not teach comprehensive sexual education
- R4: THBT it is legitimate for nations to destabilise the governments that are complicit in the production of hardcore narcotics
- Final: THBT state education should purposely undermine the normal gender roles
Durham IV, Durham, England, November 3-4
- R1: THW ban male circumcision for Under 18s, except for medical reasons.
- R2: TH wants the USA to lead a Coalition of the Willing to intervene militarily in Syria.
- R3: THBT developed countries should not retaliate to protectionist measures by developing countries.
- R4: THW publicly shame persons found guilty of committing hate speech.
- R5: THBT Britain should seek issue based coalitions rather than a further integration into the EU.
- Semi: "Context: A pill has been developed which, if taken during pregnancy will ensure the birth of straight children. At no point can it be determined if the child would otherwise have been straight or gay.
Motion: This House would allow prospective mothers to take the pill."
- Novice Final: This House would ban extremist political parties.
- Final: This House would support the partition of nation-states along their ethnic lines.
Welsh Novices, Aberystwyth, Wales, November 3
- R1: THW not allow anybody under the age of 18 to leave school without first having passed all of their exams
- R2: THW institute gender and racial quotas in all government cabinets
- R3: THW only intervene in arab uprisings if guaranteed preferential economic agreements in return
- R4: THW Make it a criminal offence to know of a crime and not report it
- Final: THBT pieces of major social legislation, notably gay marriage, should be passed only by referendum
Oxford IV, Oxford, England, November 9-10
- R1: THBT Google, YouTube, & social media websites should remove content which it deems to insult religions
- R2: THB the ANC should nationalize all mines
- R3: THBT Western governments should buy the freedom of slaves
- R4: THBT the Greek military should suspend democratic government until economic recovery
- R5: THBT companies should not take public stance in gay right issues
- Quarter: THBT Emily's list should fund pro-choice male candidates
- ESL Semi: THB governments should actively discourage consumerist lifestyles
- Semi: THBT States should forcibly reverse the transmigration policies of their former dictators
- ESL Final: THW give extra votes to youths over the age of 18
- Final: THB in the right to bear arms
Vienna Freshers, Vienna, Austria, November 10-11
- R1: THW ban smoking entirely
- R2: THBT there should be obligatory equal parental leave for women and men
- R3: THW prosecute violent fouls as criminal assault
- R4: THBT testing on animals is immoral
- Final: THBT state funded space programs are a waste of tax payers' money
UK Debate Challenge, York, England, November 9-11
- R1: THW abolish all political parties
- R2: THW allow workers to sell employment rights back to their employers
- R3: THBT the right to decide the timing and manner of one's death is a fundamental component of liberty
- R4: THBT the Myanmar NLD should actively support a pro-democracy campaign of civil disobedience
- R5: THW remove immunity from prosecution from holders of high political office
- Semi: THBT the works of hip hop legends such as Tupac Shakur, the Wu Tang Clan and JayZ should be taught in schools
- Final: THBT the capitalist system is incompatible with a just society
ESCP Debating Open, Paris, France, November 10
- R1: THBT states in the developing world should invest in sex tourism
- R2: THW allow all doping in professional sports
- Final: THW choose immortality over the opportunity to have children
Open de Debates da Sociedade de Debates da Universidade de Coimbra (SDUC), Coimbra, Portugal, November 10-11
- R1: TH supports lifting the celibacy of the Catholic Church
- R2: THW ban the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, from adopting children
- R3: THW require all Portuguese to spend 25 € per month on local products
- R4: THBT all children should have location chips
- Semi: THBT Wikipedia should be put on the UNESCO World Heritage list
- Final: TH defends that austerity is the solution to the (economic) crisis
Brno Open, Brno, Slovakia, November 10-11
- R1: THW adopt life sentences without parole.
- R2: THW not read fairytales which contain gender stereotypes to children.
- R3: THW grant tax cuts to large foreign investors.
- R4: THW cancel permanent membership and veto power in the UN Security Council.
- Semi: THBT all regionally concentrated ethnic minorities should be granted territorial autonomy.
- Final: THBT the European Union should open its borders for immigrants from third world countries.
Cambridge IV, Cambridge, England, November 17-18
- R1: The state should pay a living wage to stay at home parents
- R2: Infoslide: There are strong allegations that the Rwandan government of Paul Kagame is funding anti-govenment rebel fighters in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The rebels are ethnically Tutsi and have caused mass violence in the DRC. Several countries have decided to freeze budgetary assistance to Rwanda. Others have chosen not to, claiming that aid has been used effectively to develop Rwanda.Motion: THB all donor countries should freeze aid to Rwanda
- R3: THW hold the senior executives of major banks and rating agencies criminally liable for the actions of their companies that led to the Global Financial Crisis
- R4: THBT democratic reform is more important than economic growth for China
- R5: THBT prosecutors should never offer reduced sentences in exchange for testifying against others
- Quarters: TH regrets the rise of 24 hour news culture
- Semi: THBT all companies should be at least 75% owned by their workforce, in equal shares
- ESL Final: THBT that Japan should not abandon nuclear power
- Final: THBT Egypt should provide a military security guarantee against the invasion of Gaza
Iasi BP Open, Iasi, Romania, November 18-19 (translated)
- R1: THW not make state health care available to smokers
- R2: TH regrets the influence of computer games on the next generation
- R3: THW ban pornography
- R4: THBT the European Union should open its borders to all immigrants
- Final: THW give all animals capable of respecting all citizen obligations equal rights to humans
John Smith Memorial Mace, Irish Leg, Round 1, November 20-December 8
- Heat 1, 2, 3: THW create a permanent seat for the Travelling Community in the Dáil.
- Heat 4, 5, 6: THW create a constituency for the Irish abroad.
- Heat 7, 8, 9: THW allow Asylum Seekers to work.
- Heat 10, 11, 12: THW compel parents to take equal paternity and maternity leave.
- Heat 13, 14, 15: THW require the unemployed to participate in community work to be eligible for social welfare.
- Heat 16, 17, 18: THW re-introduce the punishment of banishment for serious crimes.
- Heat 19, 20, 21: THW grant the police the ability to stop and search without reasonable suspicion in designated areas and times.
- Heat 22, 23, 24: THB the US Federal Government should continue to enforce the national prohibition on drugs in states which legalise the personal use of cannabis.
IDAS tournament, Ljubljana, Slovenia, November 23-25
- R1: THBT access to the internet is a human right
- R2: THW penalise politicians who break pre-election pledges
- R3: THB that online activism is counterproductive
- R4: TH regrets the rapid expansion of online education
- R5: TH supports censorship of pornography on the internet
- R6: THBT in the era of the Internet we should adopt a global hate speech law
- Semi: THBT hacktivism is a legitimate tool of protest against multinational corporations
- Final: THBT an unregulated Internet does more harm than good
John Smith Memorial Mace England Leg, London, England, November 24-25
- R1: THW Abolish National School Curriculums
- R2: THBT in Times of High Unemployment, Governments Should Remove all Minimum Standard Regulations in the Labour Market
- R3: THB India should not allow Tesco or Walmart into their national market
- R4: THW Punish Parents when Their Children Bully Others at School
- R5: TH Regrets the Rise of the Career Politician
- Semi: THBT, where resources are scare, minority campaign groups should fund minority art, literature and films rather than funding lobbying for legislative change
- Final: THB that the Press Cannot be Trusted to Regulate Itself :
Cicero Debattoernooi, Tilburg, Netherlands, November 24 (translated)
- R1: THW force universities to create stricter entrance requirements, even if this would lead to fewer students
- R2: THW ban the publication of any photographic and film material that portrays crime suspects
- R3: TH, being a teenager, would not open a Facebook account
- R4: THW force schools to offer students intensive interaction with different worldviews
- R5: THW allow the Supreme Court to reject laws if they contradict the constitution (this is not SQ in the Netherlands)
- Semi: THW grant the ECB the right to limit member country’s sovereign debt
- Final: THW subsidise genetical modification on humans
Zeit Debatte Tübingen, Tübingen, Germany, November 23-24 (translated)
- R1: Should prisoners temporarily lose their right to vote?
- R2: Should punishment for use of doping be subject to a statute of limitation?
- R3: Should people who are in a relationship with an enemy of the constitution (Verfassungsfeinden) be considered enemies of the constitution too?
- R4: Should people have the right to erase/block the autocomplete for their names in search engines?
- R5: Should James Bond retire?
- Semi: Should citizens be forced to borrow money to the state in times of crisis? (Should it become mandatory for citizens)
- Final: Should corporate sponsorship of dangerous (life-threatening) sports and stunts?
Lund Debate Challenge, Lund, Sweden, November 23-24
- R1: THW decriminalize incest between consenting adults
- R2: THB enterprises and charities are more effective for development than official development assistance (ODAs)
- R3: THW collect DNA of every newborn child in order to prevent and solve future crimes
- Semi: THW refuse American statehood to Puerto Rico
- Final: THW forbid universities from accepting donations earmarked for the pseudo-sciences
Münster Ironman, Münster, Germany, November 30 - December 1 (translated)
- R1: THBT separate sports competitions for women harm the feminist cause
- R2: THW set up Christian mission schools in Pakistan
- R3: THW ban transport of persons and goods by beaming
- R4: THW not want a German Europe
- Final: THW set up brothels in military bases abroad
BGU IV, Beer Sheva, Israel, November 30 - December 1
- R1: TH supports a preference for mothers in custody trials
- R2: THW grant high ranking army officers the right to veto government decisions regarding security
- R3: THW abolish intellectual property rights over music
- R4: THW abolish mandatory retirement age
- R5: TH prefers a strong dictatorship to a weak democracy
- Final:THBT Marx would have approved of the internet
Cork IV, Cork, Ireland, November 30 - December 1
- R1: THW require prospective parents to obtain parenting licences prior to having children
- R3: THW require all news media to graphically depict under-reported armed conflicts
- R4: THBT the EU should suspend the membership rights of countries if they elect extremist parties to government (for example, Greece's Golden Dawn or the UK's British National Party)
- R5: THB artists should not set out to sympathetically portray characters who hold morally repugnant world views
- Semi: Context slide: (abbr.) Blind voting means voters indicating a series of preferences of policies, these preferences are only later matched to respective parties. Motion: THW introduce blind voting in national elections
- Novice final: THW ban all medical procedures intended to change an individual's racial appearance
- Final: THB the ICC should open an investigation on war crimes in Palestine
IDEA Debate@Europe final event, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, November 28 - December 1
- R1 THBT the European Union should ban art, including literature or film, that directly insults any religion
- R2 THBT the EU should oblige its member states to include positive references to LGBT individuals and issues in their high school textbooks
- R3 THBT the European Union should guarantee membership to regions of existing EU member states, such as Catalonia or Scotland, that secede
- R4 THB that Europe should weaken its austerity measures to guarantee its citizens greater social support
- Final THW ban far-right parties from competing in elections in European countries
Moscow Open, Moscow, Russia, November 30 - December 2
- R1: THBT citizens have no moral obligation to obey laws which they personally believe may be unjust
- R2: TH supports direct elections of governors in Russia
- R3: THW only allow pornography produced and directed by Women
- R4: THBT consumer electronics firms should not be allowed to patent technologies which are not essential to the working of their product
- R5: TH, as Germany, would leave the EU
- Semi: THW remove all special legal privileges from religious organisations
- Final: THBT Russia should immediately withdraw all support from the Assad regime
Nikolausturnier, Münster, Germany, December 1 - 2 (translated)
- R1: THW force insurance companies to have equal insurance premiums for men and women
- R2: THW give the members of every political party the right to determine the voting behaviour of their deputies
- R3: THW offer Maria its own bed
- Final: THW make all the proceeds that a professors earns with their books and other academic work available to their universities
King’s College IV, London, England, December 1
- R1: THBT Bert and Ernie should get married
- R2: TH regrets the 2001 Afghanistan invasion
- R3: (infoslide explaining that in 10 years it will be possible to send a manned mission to Mars but they won't be able to return alive) THBT NASA should fund suicide missions to Mars
- R4: THBT Governments should not assist in the rebuilding of disaster prone areas
- Final: THBT feminist christians should leave the Church of England
Irish Times Debates, Second Round, Ireland, December 4-8
- Heat 1: TH welcomes the government’s proposed fat tax
- Heat 2: TH regrets the demise of the Green Party
- Heat 3: THB Enda deserved his place on the cover of TIME
- Heat 4: THW abolish the minimum wage
- Heat 5: THB the diaspora should b‘The Gathering’
- Heat 6: THW not negotiate with Hamas
- Heat 7: THB it can no longer support the ‘Barclays Premier League’
- Heat 8: THB feminism has run its course in Ireland
Bristol IV, Bristol, England, December 7-8
- R1: THS state-provision of cosmetic surgery and surgical enhancements
- R2: THBT South Korea should provide unconditional humanitarian aid and assistance to North Korea
- R3: THW allow victims of miscarriages of justice to sue expert witnesses for incompetence
- R4: THW subsidise feminist pornography
- R5: THW fabricate evidence in order to create the impression that historical national heroes had been gay
- Semi: THS the creation of a Black Players' Union in the English Premier League
- Final: TH regrets the popular veneration of Che Guevara
Lancaster IV, Lancaster, England, December 8
- R1: THBT the expansion in the proportion of the population attending university has done more harm than good
- R2: THW punish poachers of endangered species in the same way as murderers
- R3: THBT developing countries should ban non citizens from purchasing real estate
- R4: THBT MGM studios should cast a woman as the next Bond
- R5: (Info Slide) THBT the United States Should fund Madrassas in Pakistan
- Semi: THBT the Mexican government should offer immunity for economic crimes to drug cartels in exchange for not targeting the police, military or civilians
- Final: THS the reappropriation of the word 'nigger
Tilbury House IV, Cologne, Germany, December 7-9
- R1: THW only release prisoners if they are rehabilitated
- R2: THBT slacktivism has harmed activism more than it has benefited it
- R3: TH supports a technocratic government in times of dire financial crisis
- R4: THW ban all lobbyist activity
- R5: THBT matchmaking is a better system than dating
- Semi: THW allow parents to sell their babies
- Final: THBT a society in which charity and donations are prevalent is preferable to a society with a state run welfare system
Baden-Württemberg, Heidelberg, Germany, December 8 (translated)
- R1: Should people who have lived a healthy life be given preferential access to donated organs?
- R2: Should we establish worker participation (unternehmerische Mitbestimmung) in corporations in all of Europe?
- R3: Should public television give all sexual variations (sexuellen Spielarten) proportionally equal representation?
- Final: Should the UN make the knowledge of how to build an atomic weapon available upon request?
SSE Riga & LMT IV, Riga, Latvia, December 8
- R1: THW ban sports, where the main purpose is to inflict pain (e.g. boxing, martial arts)
- R2: THBT the state should fund the identity change, including changing their legal name and physical appearance, of infamous prisoners upon their release
- R3: THBT Western countries should offer to immediately cancel all debts owed by any authoritarian country upon its transition to democracy
- R4: THBT the gay rights movement should campaign for the abolition of marriage, rather than marriage equality
- R5: THW ban all political polls before any election
- SF: THW make the use of conscripts in active combat a war crime
- F: THBT from kindergarten onwards all education should be gender neutral
The English Cup, Herzliya, Israel, December 9
- R1: THW ban homeschooling
- R2: TH, which is the US, would stop the use of armed military drones in pakistan
- R3: THW offer financial incentives for bringing in elusive criminals
- Semi: THW require all companies to publish salaries to the entire public
- Final: THW obligate newly formed states that were formed through violent resistance to pay reparations for harms and casualties which were caused by their struggle
Centrale Open, Paris, France, December 14-15
- R1: THBT all criminal trials should be decided by a jury verdict
- R2: THW allow employers to offer a contract to their female employees giving up their right to become pregnant.
- R3: This House believes that governments should end all direct international aid, and donate money to Non Governmental Organizations (e.g. Oxfam, Médicins Sans Frontièrs) instead
- R4 (info slide): Bylines are blurbs at the start of articles that specify the name and position of the author. For instance: “Boris Johnson, Mayor of London”. Motion:THW remove bylines from individual newspaper articles
- R5 (info slide): In a hypothetical situation, the 75% tax rate of Hollande has worked to give the French government more money . It is so big, the French have paid off the deficit and can spend it instead on tackling the issue of the Banlieues: socio-economically deprived largely migrant communities on the outskirts of Paris. Motion: THW rather spend the money on subsidised housing and living costs for migrants in the centre of Paris than investment in the Banlieues
- Semi: TH, as a draftee, would dodge the draft
- Final (info slide):The Twin Towers were a recognizable part of the famous New York skyline. On the 11th of September on 2001 they were destroyed by a terrorist attack. In 2011 the New York City Office commissioned the building of the Freedom Tower on Ground Zero. Motion: THW have instead rebuilt the world trade centre to original specifications, but one floor higher
IDEA European Cup, London, England, December 15
- R1: THBT all professional football clubs should be majority owned by their supporters
- R2: THW ban children from participating in religious activities
- R3: THBT emerging democracies should ban the election of close family members of current or previous office-holders
- Final (info slide approximation): the Greek left wing party Syriza has promised to renegotiate the current bailout, and turn back a number of austerity measures, such as lowering of pension and welfare benefits. Motion: As a Greek voter, THW vote for Syriza
Birmingham IV, Birmingham, England, December 14-15
- R1: THBT the state should subsidise news media outlets
- R2: THBT the government of the DRC should hire private military companies to defeat rebels in North and South Kivu
- R3: TH supports citizen-initiated referendums*
- R4: THBT the Japanese government should renounce pacifism and rearm
- R5: TH supports the legalisation of the production, sale, purchase and consumption of All recreational drugs
- Semi-Final: THW alter World Trade Organisation rules to allow poor countries to erect protectionist barriers against rich countries
- Final: THW, as the UK, give up its nuclear arsenal
World Universities Debating Championships, Berlin, Germany, December 27-January 4
- R1: THW create public housing for the poor in wealthy areas
- R2: THBT Japan should acquire nuclear weapons
- R3: THW only imprison individuals who pose a direct and continuing threat to society
- R4: THBT International development institutions (such as the World Bank) should not finance natural resource extraction projects in corrupt states
- R5: THBT self described progressive males of dominant ethnicities are morally obliged to refrain from taking positions of responsibility where there is a qualified alternative candidate from a historically disadvantaged group who would otherwise receive the post
- R6: THW legally permit soldiers to refuse to participate in military actions or missions on the basis of conscience
- R7: THBT European Union nations should forgive Greece’s sovereign debt
- R8: THBT countries with booming populations should allocate every adult a single tradable permit to have a child
- R9: THW ban political parties and require all candidates for national public office to seek election as independents
- EFL Quarters: THBT publicly funded universities should be required to reduce enrolment in degree programs within their university that have statistically poor employment outcomes
- EFL Semis: THBT policies that may have significant environmental consequences should be subject to a veto by a 'supreme court' of scientific experts
- EFL Final: TH welcomes the decline of the USA as the sole global super power.
- ESL Quarters: THBT publicly funded universities should be required to reduce enrolment in degree programs within their university that have statistically poor employment outcomes (same as EFL Quarters)
- ESL Semis: THBT the feminist movement should actively promote norms of stable monogamous relationships
- ESL Final: THBT representative democracies with large numbers of foreigners living in their territory (on a temporary or permanent basis) should create specific seats to represent them in parliament.
- Open Partial Double Octos: THBT universities should never prohibit research or teaching on the grounds of sexist, racist or otherwise discriminatory implications
- Open Octos: THBT the US should cut off military aid to Egypt
- Open Quarters: THW ban all advertising of consumer goods and services
- Open Semis: TBHT the WTO should never allow nations to place export restrictions on food, rare-earth metals, and other non-oil commodities
- Open Final: THW not allow religious communities to expel members on the basis of views or actions that contradict doctrinal teachings
Zeit Debatte Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany, January 12-13 (translated)
- R1: Do we need to abolish public broadcasting?
- R2: Should doping be allowed in professional sport (Leistungssport)?
- R3: Should throw our principles away (over board)?
- R4: Do we need schocking pictures of the slaughter and processing of meat and sausage products?
- R5: To hell with extortionate rent prices: do we need housing socialism?
- Semi: Should we give up on climate protection?
- Final: Should large infrastructural projects be subject to democratic control?
Nottingham Trent IV, Nottingham, England, January 12
- R1: THBT all components of the welfare state should be means tested
- R2: THBT feminists should support the death penalty for crimes of severe sexual assault in countries with extreme gender inequality
- R3: (Info Slide) THW ban the practice and use of all alternative therapies
- R4 TH, as the USA, no longer supports the right to bear arms
- Semi: THW not teach vocational subjects at universities
- Final: THW compel HIV infected people to disclose their HIV status to their sexual partners
Regents’ IV, London, England, January 13
- R1: THB the west should not recruit doctors from the developing world
- R2: THB student unions should not campaign on geo-political issues
- R3: THW ban religious based rehabilitation programs, regardless of how effective they may be
- R4: THW hold a referendum on the death penalty.
- Final: TH regrets the existence of mankind
Kingsmill Moore Invitational, Trinity, Dublin, Ireland, January 24
- R1: THBT social disgust is a sufficient justification for censoring art
- R2: THW federalise the European Union
- R3: THBT the state should never negotiate with hostage takers
French Debating Association Tournament, first leg, France, January 24-February 28
- Pool A1: THW rather die before they get old.
- Pool D1: THBT books are obsolete
- Pool D2: THBT it is better to learn than to be taught
- Pool B1: THBT we should not let our schooling interfere with our education
- Pool A2: THBT we are clever enough to engineer our doom but not to prevent it.
- Pool C1: THBT Art is the highest achievement of humanity.
- Pool D3: THBT true friends stab you in the front.
- Pool B2: THBT technology is killing our work ethic
- Pool C2: THBT change is not progress
- Pool D4: THBT peace depends on fear
- Pool B3: THBT we should strive for immortality
- Pool A3: THBT limitation nurtures creativity
- Pool C3: THBT life is nasty, brutish and short
- Pool A4: THBT peace is only an illusion
- Pool B4: THW sooner befriend an evil genius than a dull hero
- Pool C4: THBT uncle Sam is not a member of the family
- Pool D5: THBT banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than armies
Trinity IV, Dublin, Ireland, January 25-26
- R1: THW not prosecute victims of domestic violence for crimes committed as a result of their abuse
- R2: THBT the marketing strategies of Western NGOs have hindered the development of the global South
- R3: THW ban the teaching of Romeo and Juliet in schools
- R4: THB the campaign for marriage equality is a waste of the gay community's resources
- R5: THW hold Islam accountable for the actions of Islamists
- Quarter: THBT allowing women on front lines is a victory for feminism
- Semi and ESL Final: TH as an Israeli Arab would boycott Israeli elections
- Final: THW restrict media coverage of school shootings
Rotterdam BP toernooi, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, January 26 (translated)
- R1: TH, being the US, would oblige the Amish to send their children to public high schools
- R2: THW ban meat consumption
- R3: THW ban cosmetic/plastic surgery aimed to change racial features
- R4: THW introduce corporal punishment
- Semi: THW abolish the UN Security Council
- Final: THW make abortion mandatory in cases of severe medical conditions that lead to short and painful lives
Beginner Tournament Mainz (DCJG), Mainz, Germany, January 26 (translated)
- R1: Should the government leader at federal and state level be directly elected?
- R2: Should employees of energy and transport companies be banned from striking?
- R3: Should Bilbo stay home?
- Final: Should we create a public newspaper?
York IV, York, England, January 26
- R1: THBT student societies and newspapers should have a 'no platform' policy for extremist political figures
- R2: TH, as Tottenham Hotspur, would ban fans found chanting 'Yid Army'
- R3: THBT parents, where concerned, should install spyware to monitor their children's online activity and communications
- R4: THW ban religious proselytising and faith-based rehabilitation programmes in prisons
- Semi: THBT states should place constitutional limits on regressive taxation policies
- Final: TH regrets the societal acceptance of promiscuity
John Smith Memorial Mace, Irish Leg, Round 2, January 28-February 7
- Heat 1: THW criminalise doping in sport
- Heat 2: THW ban any technology that can delete or alter a person's memory
- Heat 3: A pill exists that ensures "moral behaviour", THW ban the morality pill.
- Heat 4: THB that abortion referendums should be open to women voters only
- Heat 5: THB countries should cease trying to prevent climate change and focus resources on preparing for its consequences.
- Heat 6: THB social media companies have a duty to prevent far-right or hate groups from using their platforms.
- Heat 7: TH supports a Palestinian right of return.
- Heat 8: THBT former colonial powers should never intervene militarily or economically in favour of one side in a civil war or rebellion in a former colony.
Inner Temple IV, London, England, February 1-2
- R1: THW abolish trial by jury
- R2: THBT, when and where gay marriage is legal, religious institutions should be compelled to conduct gay wedding ceremonies
- R3: THBT all policy on drugs, alcohol, tobacco and other controlled substances should be made by expert scientific panels and not elected officials
- R4: THBT the Arab Spring has been bad for Egypt
- R5: THW punish illegal tax avoidance (evasion) by the deprivation of citizenship
- Semi: THBT it is impossible to be a pro-life feminist
- FInal: TH regrets that Lance Armstrong got caught
Irish Times Semi-Finals, Ireland, February 1-5
- Semi A: THW introduce graduate tax
- Semi B: THW ban tobacco
- Semi C: THB freedom of speech should never be curtailed
Warwick IV, Warwick, England, February 2
- R1: THW stop all efforts to cease the international drug trade and put all funding into education and rehab
- R2 TH, as a progressive, would oppose the awarding of hosting rights for major international sporting competitions to 'Unprogressive' countries
R3 THBT Advocates for Trans* people should not campaign within the feminist movement
R4 THBT opposition movements in countries with repressive regimes should never use violent tactics
- Semi: TH (As the EU) would make development aid conditional upon developing countries using it for renewable energy generation
Sciences Po Open, Le Havre, France, February 8-9
- R1: THW return all national treasures to their countries of origin, provided they sincerely commit to preserve and display them.
- R2: THW end the search for extraterrestrial intelligence
- R3: THBT, in the event of an immediate and unprovoked Israeli strike against Iran's nuclear facilities, the USA should make a credible pledge to support Israel in any resulting conflict.
- R4: THW set maximum rents for residential property in the city of Paris.
- R5: THW legalise polygamy
- Semi: THBT Pakistan should end all cooperation with America’s War on Terror.
- Final: THBT Socrates should not have drunk the hemlock
Österreichischen Debattier Meisterschaft (Austrian Debate Championships), Salzburg, Austria, February 8-10 (translated)
- R1: Should we intervene in Mali?
- R2: Should the water supply be nationalised all over Europe?
- R3: Should Incest be allowed?
- R4: Should the possibility to revoke a PhD degree be under a statute of limitation?
- R5: Should we, who are technically capable of it, seek contact with extraterrestrials?
- Semi: Should we ban the import of goods that were not produced under the social and ecological standards of the EU?
- Final: Should we buy armed drones?
The Galway Open - Irish National Law Debates, Galway, Ireland, February 15-16
- R1: TH supports the legislation (legalisation?) of sex work
- R2: THBT every member of the NRA is morally culpable for the level of gun crime in the US
- R3: THBT the government should access private electronic communications to predict and tackle crime
- R4: THBT artists from privileged groups should not depict characters from underprivileged groups in their work
- R5: THBT the UN should recruit a standing army
- Semi: a pill exists to prevent you falling in love, THW take that pill
- Final: THW abolish private property
IDEA-DTU, Utrecht, the Netherlands, February 16 (translated)
- R1: THW ban the production and consumption of tobacco in the European Union
- R2: THW make lying by politicians punishable by law
- R3: TH hopes the United Kingdom will leave the European Union
- R4: THW not pursue income redistribution beyond poverty reduction (armoedebestrijding, i.e. combatting poverty)
- Semi: THW make the punishment for drunk driving equal to manslaughter, even if the driver caused no accident
- Final: THW set a public ultimatum: if the next pope does not implement radical reforms, the Roman Catholic church will be disbanded
Edinburgh IV, Edingburgh, Scotland, February 16
- R1: THW withdraw all state benefits including healthcare from the voluntarily unemployed
- R2: THBT Student Unions should not take an explicit policy on abortion
- R3: THB that independent states in the developing world should be allowed to unilaterally opt to become overseas territories of their former colonial powers.
- R4: THW ban all individuals who have advocated or used violence in order to further a political cause in a liberal democratic state, from standing for future elections
- Final: Context (roughly): During WWI, Wilfred Owen was serving as a British sniper on the frontlines. While on duty his focus falls upon a German soldier showering in the German frontline trench. The German is naked, unarmed and poses no immediate threat to anyone on the British lines but is a legal target. Motion: THW Not Shoot the Naked Soldier
LSE Open, London, England, February 16-17
- R1: THBT Western Liberal Democracies should institute bans on their citizens visiting illiberal states whose economies depends on tourism
- R2: THW require prospective owners or large shareholders of sport clubs / teams to gain majority support from season ticket holders or other representatives of the fan base to complete their acquisition
- R3: THW make conscription a war crime
- R4: THW require close relatives of the homeless to pay their welfare costs to the extent that they can afford to do so
- R5: THW allocate state funding for the arts exclusively to new and original work, and never to reproductions of ‘great works’ or other old plays, opera, music, films or art
- Quarter: THBT the International Criminal Court should focus on indicting and prosecuting larger numbers of middle-to-low ranking suspects for war crimes, crimes against humanity, or genocide, rather than smaller numbers of high ranking suspects
- Semi: This House believes that the civil and criminal legal system has no business considering or regulating behaviour that exclusively occurs in online virtual worlds such as ‘Second Life’
- ESL Final: This House would allow pro-life organisations to offer to pay women considering abortions to carry the baby to term (assuming adequate child support services exist)
- Final: This House would support policies of ‘ever increasing political union’ – i.e. progressive political integration aimed at the distant goal of federal unification – amongst members of the League of Arab States
John Smith Memorial Mace, Irish Leg, Quarterfinals, February 19-February 25
- Quarter 1: THW ban the use of artificial human augmentation, either by surgical or genetic therapy.
- Quarter 2: THB that people who attend mass are morally responsible for the actions of the Catholic Church
- Quarter 3: THW allow prisoners to choose death over life sentence
- Quarter 4: THW ban domestic drones
Irish Times Final, Belfast, Northern-Ireland, February 22
Manchester IV, Manchester, England, February 23-24
- R1: THBT single parents sent to prison should be able to raise their children in prison.
- R2: TH, as Israel, would grant exemptions from compulsory military service to all and only those citizens that give up their right to vote.
- R3: TH approves of the New York Post's decision to publish the subway photograph 'Doomed'.
- R4: TH approves of the USA's policy of extra-judicial killing of terrorists.
- R5: THBT at least 50% of the Legislature (Parliament) should be appointed by a socially representative random draw from the general population.
- Quarter: THBT states should disband their armed forces and use PMCs as and when necessary
- Semi: THBT the unemployed, living in areas of high unemployment and low private investment, should relocate to areas where their employment is more likely in order to keep their benefits.
- Final: THBT David Cameron was wrong to offer the British electorate a referendum on EU membership.
Polish Parliamentary Debating Championships, Warsaw, Poland, February 22-24 (translated)
- R1: THW officially register Pastafarianism as a religion in Poland.
- R2: THW introduce tax cuts for qualified foreigners who want to settle in Poland.
- R3: THW supplement Polish Constitution with the civil right of access to the Internet.
- R4: THW ban advertising that invoke polishness as a value
- Semi: THBT Poland should join the Eurozone as soon as possible
- Final: THBT political parties should be subject to anti-monopoly laws
UL Open, Limerick, Ireland, March 1-2
- R1: THW allow parents of children with Klüver-Bucy syndrome to sterilise those children
- R2: THW make access to museums art exhibitions concerts etc. attractions free for people earning less than a certain wage
- R3: THW prohibit films about historical or political events,or those of a biographical nature, unless produced as documentaries
- R4: THB former colonial powers should maintain a presence in former colonies,in the interest of benefiting those colonies
- R5: THB emphasis on the depiction of the "normal" female body is no more empowerment than equal emphasis on the "perfect" female body
Budapest Open, Budapest, Hungary, March 1-3
- Show debate: TH regrets the turn away from socialism
- R1: THW create separate state schools for those who are LGBTQ
- R2: THBT former colonial powers should never intervene militarily in their former colonies
- R3: THBT in order to continue to eat meat individuals should personally slaughter a major meat animal
- R4:THW abolish all term limitations for elected officials in high offices
- Semi: THW require all isolated religious communities to give all 18-year-olds a Rumspringa
- Final: THBT an EU institution should block websites in EU member states that use negative racial/ethnic/religious stereotypes
Glasgow Ancients, Glasgow, Scotland, March 1-2
- R1: TH, as the academic and debating communities of the UK, would not invite George Galloway to our public debates
- R2: THW ban unpaid internships
- R3: THW would ban the use of unarmed domestic surveillance drones
- R4: THW assassinate Iranian and North Korean nuclear scientists
- R5: THBT governments have no legal or moral obligation to respond with proportionate force to armed attacks on their citizens
- Semi: THB the ICC should not issue warrants for suspects during ongoing conflicts
- Final: TH regrets the centralisation of organised religion
Nottingham Open, Nottingham, England, March 2-3
- R1: THW give more votes to those who live in areas with high levels of political apathy and low voter turnout
- R2: THW would allow parents to microchip their children without the child's consent
- R3: THW allow individuals to contract out of all basic employment provisions in their contracts (such as health & safety, unfair dismissal etc) in return for compensation.
- R4: THW allow individuals to sue religious organisations for compensation for the harmful effects of choices made as a result of adherence to religious doctrine
- R5: THW require the creators of artistic works which depict negative stereotypes of disenfranchised groups to give a portion of their profits to those groups
- Semi (Info slide): THW Prosecute Irish politicians of the era for failing to take action over the abuses of the Magdalene Laundries.
- Final: In a possible near future world, a computer chip has been developed which can painlessly be implanted in the brain, preventing all sexual desire. At the same time, technology has advanced to the point where completely asexual human reproduction is possible. THW prefer that world to this one.
John Smith Memorial Mace, Ireland semi finals, Dublin, Ireland, March 5 and March 6
- Semi 1: TH regrets the rise of globalisation
- Semi 2: THBT individualism has failed us
French Debating Association Semi Finals, Paris, France, March 7 and March 14
- Semi 1: THBT youth is wasted on the young
- Semi 2: THBT you can't plan the future by the past
Vienna IV, Vienna, Austria, March 8-10
- R1: THBT juries should only include individuals that are from the same socio-economic class as the defendant
- R2: TH, in hindsight, would still have fought the 2003 war in Iraq
- R3: THW, as an atheist, join an atheist church (definition: an atheist church is a congregation of non-religious people, who engage in singing, lectures and other activities. It also promotes the Manifesto for Atheists, which lists atheist virtues)
- R4: THBT school children in the UK should be taught that their country engaged in war crimes
- R5: TH, as the heir to any European throne, would refuse to become a monarch
- R6: THBT women are morally justified in lying about their past experiences, abilities and future family plans at a job interview or application
- Semi: You are an emigrant from a poor and collapsing unnamed country. You are offered full and immediate citizenship from the United States and the European Union. The offers are the only two options you have and are mutually exclusive. You do not know where you will live in either Union. Your native and only language is not spoken in either. Motion: THW emigrate to the European Union.
- Final: THW hold a referendum among all churchgoing Catholics to elect the new Pope rather than having Cardinals elect him
Leeds Open, Leeds, England, March 9-10
- R1: THW require internet users to disclose their identities
- R2: On the 10th Anniversary, TH does not regret the decision to invade Iraq.
- R3: TH, as the board of Zenit St. Petersburg, would preference players with Slavic ethnicity, in order to respect the wishes of the fans
- R4: THBT Conservative MPs should not have been given a free vote on the Marriage (same sex couples) Bill
- R5: THW require individuals to donate 75% of their annual income above £1 million to charity
- Novice Final: THW sentence repeat offenders to life imprisonment
- Semi: In post-conflict societies, THBT that justice is better served by TRCs (Truth and Reconciliation Committees) than by prosecution of perpetrators of attrocities other than the leaders
- Final: TH regrets the acceptance of Atheism in the form promoted by Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion
Southampton Open, Southampton, England, March 9
- R1: THW put a high minimum price on meat.
- R2: THBT schools should teach sex positive sex education (ie techniques for sexual gratification) in secondary schools.
- R3: TH regrets the rise of Marxism in Latin America
- R4: THW make the next James Bond gay
- Final: THBT Israel should give East Jerusalem to the Palestinians
UCL IV, London, England, March 16
- R1: THW legalise the private sale of organs
- R2: TH, as a feminist parent, would deliberately undermine its child's gender.
- R3: TH welcomes the creation of strong forms of artificial intelligence
- R4: THB that it is morally permissible to target civilians in times of war
- Semi: THBT American politicians should not use the language of American Exceptionalism
- Final: TH Regrets the rise of Reality Television
John Smith Memorial Irish Mace Grand Final, Dublin, Ireland, March 16
Czech and Slovak Championships, Bratislava, Slovakia, March 16-17 (translated)
- R1: THW reinstitute the Czecho-Slovak federation.
- R2: THW send top teachers to weakest schools.
- R3: THW constitutionally cap the government deficit at 3% of GDP.
- R4: THW ban pornography.
- Semi: THW let Iran develop nuclear weapons.
- Final: THW enable directly elected heads of state to, at their own initiative, dismiss government cabinets or their individual members.
VUAS Debate Tournament, Valmiera, Latvia, March 16-17
- R1: THW make the Internet a public good
- R2: THW prohibit underaged from entering religious organizations
- R3: THW ban professors/teachers from communicating with students/schoolchildren in social networks
- R4: THW allow the use of negative competitor image in advertisement
- R5: THW include debating into school curriculum
- Semi final: THW allow to participate in general election only those people with IQ above a certain level
- Final: THBT the government should be blamed for slow economic growth
Bucharest Universities Debating Cup, Bucharest, Romania, March 16-17 (translated)
- R1: THBT the Romanian state should cut all ties to all churches
- R2: THW abolish the institution of the criminal record
- R3: In a run-off for the Romanian Presidency, HW rather vote for Gigi Becali than Corneliu Vadim Tudor (Romanian extremist politicians)
- R4: THW fight for the reunification of Romania with the Republic of Moldova
- R5: Given easily accessible technology to choose the sex of a future child, THW give financial stimulants to parents that choose to have girls
- Novice final: THW ban the popular vote in talent shows:
- Semi: THW pardon Bashar al-Assad for all his crimes in exchange for him stepping down from power
- Final: THBT in times of economic recession, European states, don't spend enough
Berlin-Brandenburgischen-Meisterschaften (Championships), Berlin, Germany, March 16 (translated)
- R1: Should corporations be forced, in case of layoffs, to always lay off those workers with the best chances on the labour market?
- R2: Should the prosecution and defence in criminal cases no longer be able to make deals?
- R3: Should a word, that one group feels is discriminating, no longer be used by that same group either?
- R4: Should secret services produce pictures of despots that change their reputation and distribute those in the countries of these despots?
- Final: Should a state be excluded from the EU when its politics go against the basic values of the EU?
Royal Holloway Open, London, England, March 17
Open motions picked by one of the teams in each debate round:
- R1: THW ban teenagers from using Facebook
- R1: THW choose immortality over fertility
- R1: THBT Simba should not go back
- R1: THBT Bilbo should have killed Gollum when he had the chance
- R1: THBT all politicians should be celibate
- R1: THW ban advertising
- R1: THBT charity is immoral
- R1: THW kill its best friend when s/he is about to become a zombie
- R2: THW build a second Deathstar
- R2: THBT children under 18 with close relatives who are victims of FGM should not be allowed to travel outside the EU
- R2: THW ban Google Glasses
- R2: THW discourage people with genetic diseases from having children and prioritise them in terms of adoption
- R2: THW replace juries with panels of philosophers who will decide cases purely on utilitarian grounds
- R2: THW not give aliens the vote (aliens live alongside humans 1 year from now)
- R2: THB feminists should oppose capitalism
- R2: THBT the feminist movement should oppose the banning of the burqa
- R3: THBT the Pope Francis should make an ex-cathedra statement to the effect that all Catholics must support socialism
- R3: THW give the Roma a homeland
- R3: THW build a deathstar
- R3: As an omipotent, omniscient god, THW smite people who commit serious crimes and who we know will feel no remorse
- R3: THW bring back public corporal punishment for smaller crimes
- R3: THW make higher education free
- R3: THW abolish the speaker tab
- R3: THW fully replace agriculture and fishing with stem cell production to produce food
- R4: THW require priests to report confessions that lead to criminal convictions
- R4: You are an Israeli nuclear submarine commander. You learn that Israel has been wiped out by an iranian nuclear strike. THW return Fire
- R4: THW link Job Seekers Allowance to previous income
- R4: THW not become a superhero
- R4: THW encourage replacing human body parts with advanced robotic counterparts
- R4: THW build 500,000 social homes in the London Greenbelt
- R4: THW wipe the memories of those convicted very serious crimes and replace them with more positive memories
- R4: THW require universities to increase funding for classics and deprioritise funding for popular culture choices
- Final: In world that has eradicated racism, THW prefer that people were/were not able to recognise differences in physical appearance
Feminism and Gender Tournament, Israel, March 21 (translated)
- R1: THW ban marriage.
- R2: TH, which is a woman, would not make any cosmetic changes to her appearance, including but not limited to makeup, shaving, and plastic surgeries .
- R3: THW ban all presentations of the 10th commandment in all Israeli School systems.
- Final: TH, which is a female debater, would participate in next year's Glasgow Ancients.
Leiden Open, Leiden, Netherlands, March 22-23
- R1: THW criminalize gang membership.
- R2: THBT adoption agencies should seek to place children in families with a similar culture to that of their biological parents.
- R3: THW require re-ratification of all international treaties, including the EU, by popular referenda every decade.
- R4: THBT the international community should treat espionage as a justification for military retaliation.
- R5: THBT the news media should also represent the criminal’s point of view when reporting on criminal convictions.
- Semi and Novice Final: THBT the LGBT rights movement should abandon the ‘born this way’ campaign. (Info: ‘Some people believe that they were born LGBT, some LGBT people believe that it is a choice that they made. Currently, the LGBT movement uses being ‘Born this way’ as a way of legitimising equal rights.’)
- Final: In times of war, THBT relatives of civilians killed by the military occupation, should be able to sue the soldiers responsible for their relative’s death in civilian court.
Zeit Debatte Marburg, Marburg, Germany, March 22-24 (translated)
- R1: THW allow the use of bounty hunters
- R2: THBT Cuba should prioritise the implementation of capitalism over the implementation of democracy
- R3: THW not give out separate art prizes (like the Oscars) for men and women
- R4: THBT patriotism is a virtue
- R5: THB in a human right to suicide
- Semi: THW abolish all limits on the heights of buildings
- Final: THW abolish all anonymity for sperm donation
Irish National Maidens, Limerick, Ireland, March 22-24
- THB the pope should be elected by all members of the Catholic Church
- THW introduce ethnic and gender quotas for film and television programs
- THW not grant amnesty to people who commit atrocities in conflicts
- THW allow soldiers to volunteer for experimental genetic and physical modifications
- THW prosecute the perpetrators of domestic violence without the victim's consent
- Semi: THW die for a cause
- Final: THBT celebrating housewives impedes the feminist movement
Zalgiris Cup, Vilnius, Lithuania, March 22-24
- R1: THW give only temporary marriage lines
- R2: THW require all isolated religious communities (eg. Hasidic Jews, Jehova's Witnesses) to give all 18-year-olds a 'Rumspringa' [Amish tradition of sending off 18-y.-olds to live in outside world for 1 year, after which they may chose to return or not]
- R3: THBT South Korea should have nuclear weapon
- R4: THW make companies pay taxes equal to their influence on the environment
- R5: THW allow police to provoke citizens for committing crimes
- Semi: THW give citizens negative votes on general elections
- Final: THBT organized religion causes more harm than good
Exeter Open, Exeter, England, March 23
- R1: THBT Western liberal democracies should ban unpaid internships
- R2: TH supports the decision to stop British development aid to India
- R3: THBT states should never protect dying languages
- R4: THBT the use of violence can be legitimate in political protest
- Final: TH supports the creation of a feminist political party
Mykolas Romeris University (MRU) IV, Vilnius, Lithuania, March 23-24
- R1: THW require all social networks that offer services to minors to offer parents full unlimited access to their children's accounts
- R2: THBT the entire European Union should adopt the ban on communist symbols
- R3: THBT Lithuania should recognise Polish as an official language in municipalities with significant populations of ethnic Poles
- R4: TH, which is China, would cease all political and economic support to North Korea
- R5: THW force employers to allow their employees to work from home whenever physically possible
- Semifinal: THW allow the deliberate targeting of civilians in war, where it would significantly reduce casualties in the long term
- Final: TH, as Cyprus, would ask Russia for its bailout
Estonian BP Championships, Tallinn, Estonia, March 23-24 (translated)
- R1: THW arm Syrian rebels
- R2: THBT the state should support home ownership
- R3: THBT the International Olympic Committee should ban all athletes who express hostile views towards racial, ethnic or sexual minorities from participating
- R4: THW stop funding all space programs
- R5: THBT parents have a moral obligation not to consume alcohol
- Semi: THBT that extraordinary taxation of saving deposits in times of crisis is justified
- Final: THBT people should only be allowed to work in state or local government agencies for a maximum of 5 years
French Debating Association, Final, Paris, France, March 25
- This House Still Believes in "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity"
Kent IV, Kent, England, March 30
- R1: THBT all corporations should become workers' co-operatives.
- R2: THW require the consent of the subjects before publishing photographs of celebrities
- R3: THBT feminists should support free markets in the developing world/
- R4: Infoslide: TH is a juror in trial of leader of large community of first and second gen immigrants. Leader is accused of ABH. TH is certain beyond any reasonable doubt that the community leader is guilty of the crime.TH is also sure beyond reasonable doubt that a guilty verdict would cause riots in the defendant's community. Motion: THW vote to acquit and attempt to persuade other jurors to do the same
Heriot Watt Open, Edinburgh, Scotland, March 30
- Round 1: THBT the salaries and the continuation of employment of teachers should be dependent on the academic performance of their students
- Round 2: THBT: The international community should support a one-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict
- Round 3: THW: Ban Political Opinion Polls
- Round 4: Infoslide: From 1918, the labour party’s constitution declared that the Labour party would strive: “to secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and the most equitable distribution thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution and exchange and the best attainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service” (clause 4, part 4)Clause 4 as a whole was the symbol of the Labour Party’s commitment to “public ownership” and the Party’s principled opposition to market capitalism. Clause 4 was abolished under the leadership of Tony Blair at a special party conference in Easter 1995. Motion: THBT the Labour party should not have revoked Clause 4
- Final: THBT the Democratic Party should give up their attempts to regulate firearms and openly seek the complete abolition of firearms (approximate wording)
St Petersburg Debating Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia, March 29-31
- R1: THBT parents of underaged children should not drink alcohol
- R2: THW set up brothels in military bases
- R3: THW Make US military aid to Israel dependent on Israel accepting the two-state solution
- R4: THW force state officials to keep all their financial assets in domestic banks
- R5: THBT police officers should pose as children on social networking sites to entrap paedophiles
- Semi: THW ban all individuals who have advocated or used violence in order to further a political cause in emerging democratic states, from standing for future elections
- Final: THBT the state has no responsibility in protecting intellectual property rights
DCU Open, Dublin, Ireland, April 5-6
- R1: THW allow individuals to opt out of employment provisions relating to health and safety in return for increased pay
- R2: THW allow sex offenders to choose to undergo castration in return for a considerably shorter sentence
- R3: THW ban serving military generals from talking to the media
- R4: THBT children in the West Bank should be educated in integrated schools (integrated school is one where students sit in the same classroom and share all facilities irrespective of background (including religion, culture or ethnicity))
- R5: THBT in reducing its budget deficit, Ireland should prioritise cutting welfare to an absolute minimum rather than increasing taxes and cutting services
- Semi: TH,as the US Republican Party,would end the use of primaries to select their presidential nominee
- Final: TH supports Belfast City Council's decision to restrict the flying of the Union Jack outside Belfast City Hall
Paris Open, Paris, France, April 6-7
- R1: TH, as commissioner Gordon, would never use the bat signal.
- R2: TH, as the French Parliament, would not have recognised the Armenian Genocide
- R3: THW choose a comprehensive education system where the only selection process is geographical location and NOT intelligence, ability or talent
- R4: TH welcomes the anglicization of the French language
- Semi and ESL final: It is 1945. THW create a Jewish state in Western Europe instead of the Middle East
- Final: Given the technology, THW, as a genius, use this technology to reduce its intelligence to become “normal”
Transatlantic Debating Championships, Paris, France, April 10-11
- Semi 1: THBT French millionaires should escape to England
- Semi 2: THB America has no culture
- Semi 3: THB France should be more German
- Final: THB Germany should let Europe die
Estonian Open, Tartu, Estonia, April 12-13
- R1: THW provide the disabled access to sex workers as part of national health care
- R2: THW pay mercenaries to assassinate Kim Jong-un.
- R3: THBT governments should actively discourage consumerist lifestyles
- R4: TH regrets the EU Troika’s reliance on mainly austerity measures as a solution for at risk Eurozone economies.
- R5: THW make failure to render reasonable assistance to a person in distress a criminal offence.
- Semi: THBT feminist organisations should not use nudity as a tactic for pursuing their aims
- Final: TH Regrets the strong social norms in favour of lifelong monogamy.
HSE Open, Moscow, Russia, April 13-14
- R1: THW legally bind children to take care of their parents once the parents reach old age.
- R2: This house would erect a memorial statue for President Ronald Reagan in the red Square.
- R3: TH, as a feminist, would marry a closeted homosexual in order to help him keep his sexual identity secret.
- R4: THW, as Russia, offer all Western European millionaires a low tax asylum and full Citizenship in the Russian federation.
- R5: THW abolish NATO
- Semi: THBT the state should never ever fund the arts or cultural activities.
- Final. You are a member of the Pussy Riots. You are presented with a fail safe plan to runaway from prison and start a relatively comfortable life in the west. THW stay in prison.
Potsdam Puls Punk, Potsdam, Germany, April 12-14 (translated)
- R1:Should we teach beggars profitable street arts?
- R2: Should HIV-infected people be forced to take a pill that would kill them within three days?
- R3: Should the state give up on shrinking villages?
- R4:Should sexual acts with robots be banned, as soon as these are physically comparable to human beings?
- R5: Should people with more children be allowed to enter retirement earlier?
- Semi: Should scientific writings be freely available?
- Should the internet be closed on Sundays?
UTAD Debate changing Europe round, Vila Real, Portugal, April 17
- R1: THW give a higher child subsidies to couples composed by persons from different Member States of the EU.
- R2: THBT the Common Agricultural Policy harmed the national agricultures.
Coimbra Debate changing Europe round, Coimbra, Portugal, April 17
- R1: THW give a higher child subsidies to couples composed by persons from different Member States of the EU.
- R2: THW make mandatory that all European treaties would be submitted to a referendum under only one electoral cycle.
Nordic Debating Championships, Helsinki, Finland, April 19-21
- R1: THW criminalise adultery
- R2: THW have a standing policy of conducting air strikes on government buildings of states which are implicated in the massacre of their own citizens
- R3: THW set up an online voting system for citizens to directly choose the distribution of a specified portion of the national budget
- R4:THW offer terminally ill patients the option of a cash grant if they forgo treatment and consent to early euthanasia
- R5: THW make development aid conditional on recipient states adopting a one-child policy
- Semi: THW ban the publication of images of terrorist atrocities
- Final: THW impose a tax on men to reduce the gender pay gap
John Smith Memorial Mace International Final, Edinburgh, Scotland, April 20
- This House Would Make the Use of Unmanned Military Attack Vehicles a War Crime
Dutch National Championships, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, April 20 (translated)
- R1: THW ban all beauty pageants
- R2: THW abolish all exceptions to the military draft on the basis of religion, sexual orientation or gender in democratic countries that have a compulsory military draft
- R3: THW abolish the statute of limitations for serious crimes
- R4: THW use military force to destroy North Korea’s nuclear facilities
- R5: Infoslide: Greek state debts accumulate to 350 billion Euros at the moment, this is unmanageable/harmful for the economy, European economic norms deem debts at about half this amount as manageable/healthy. Rich Greeks own a total of 600 billion Euros. Motion: THW bring the Greek debt back to healthy European standards by a one-off wealth taxation of Greek’s rich.
- Quarter: Infoslide: Older employees are considered too expensive during economic crises, their salary is set by a combination of collective labour agreements between employer unions and labour unions through the setting of both sector minimum wages and sector increases in wages. Motion: THBT Dutch labour unions should agree to a structural decrease in pay for older employees
- Semi: Infoslide: Criminals are (sometimes) offered a second chance after serving their sentence. They are given a new identity, old records are wiped and they are sometimes offered plastic surgery. Motion: THW offer all citizens, upon request, a second chance
- Final: After a military intervention to bring down a dictator, THW put a new dictator in place who is the best possible candidate
Hull Open, Hull, England, April 20
- R1: THW ban industrial action in time of economic recession
- R2: THW ban all media (such as music, films and video games) which glorify misogyny
- R3: THW end the use of armed drones in counter-terrorism operations
- R4: THBT in emerging democracies with a history of female oppression, women should be granted two votes
- Final: THBT western governments should cease all diplomatic,economic and military ties with the Bahrain government and support the opposition movement
German Regional Championships South, Austria and Switzerland, Ingolstadt, Germany, April 20-21
- R1: Should exile be reinstated as a form of punishment?
- R2: Should we abolish all family (welfare) benefits in exchange for a one-off children premium of 100.000 Euros?
- R3: Should all Members of Parliament be selected, not through elections, but through a lottery from among all citizens?
- Semi: Should journalists hand the Offshore-Leaks data to the competent authorities?
- Final: Should same-sex couples receive full adoption rights?
German Regional Championships North-East, Jena, Germany, April 20-21
- R1: Should we allow the police to use racial profiling?
- R2: Should we put a limit to the time parties can be in parliament?
- R3: Should selfishness be proscribed?
- R4: It is 1952. Should the Bundersrepublik Deutschland agree to the Stalin-Note?
- Semi: Should the country grant bravery medals to drone soldiers?
- Final: Should same-sex couples receive full adoption rights?
German Regional Championships West, Iserlohn, Germany, April 20-21
- R1: Should we abolish the balancing of federal budgets (Länderfinanzausgleich)?
- R2: Should the candidate for Chancellor of a party be elected by all party members?
- R3: Do we need the meatfree Monday?
- R4: Should Germany disarm completely?
- Semi: Should the special status of churches under labour law be abolished?
- Final: Should same-sex couples receive full adoption rights?
SdDUP Debate changing Europe round 1, Porto, Portugal, April 23
- TH aplaudes that the representatives of the Member States on the European Council and on European Parliament adopt as criteria for decisions what is best for the citizens of their own countries and not what is best for the European citizens.
- TH (as the EU) would offer visas for residence to all immigrants and their families that have proven to have found means of subsistence.
Jacobs Open, Bremen, Germany, April 26-28
- R1: THW remove all "sin taxes"
- R2: TH, as US President, would grant Chinese Christian refugees asylum
- R3: THBT Governments should fund and public display of art which viscerally portrays the suffering of victims created by state policies/actions (eg war, failure to go to war, poverty at home and abroad)
- R4: THW only allow election campaigns to be funded by a fixed budget provided by the state
- R5: TH, as the gay community, regrets the rise of Grindr in western liberal democracies
- Semi: In the event of a terrorist attack by radical Islamists, THW fabricate evidence (which wouldn't be found out to be untrue) that the attack was committed by someone from the dominant (religious/ethnic) group in that society
- Final: TH, as 2 atheist parents, raising their child in a homogeneous religious rural community (e.g. in Texas) would raise their child to be religious
Open de Minho, Guimarães, Portugal, April 26-28
- R?: THW exhibit the Ten Commandments in all public schools of the EU.
- R?: THW aplaude that the Member States of the EU would participate in the Olympics under only one flag.
Split Open, Split, Croatia, April 26-28
- R1: In cases of politically motivated terrorist attacks, THW ban the press from disclosing any information regarding the name, background or the political motivation of the attackers
- R2: You are a single woman in her twenties. Sleeping with your boss would probably significantly advance your career. THW do it.
- R3: THW force elected politicians and their families to use only public health and education services.
- R4: THBT any form of conscription is a war crime
- R5: THB Croatia should stop all special treatment of the Catholic religion.
- Final: Assuming the existence of the Biblical God, THW never praise him
Cambridge Invitational, Cambridge, England, April 28
- R1: THW prosecute (in western courts) anyone who buys people out of slavery in the developing world
- R2: THB that the Church of England should not allow the singing of Jerusalem in its services
- R3: THW require that all marginal increases in funding for healthcare technology be spent on whatever NICE believes most cost effectively maximises Quality Adjusted Life Years.
- Final: THW create: 1) an obligation on western powers to militarily intervene in conflicts where chemical weapons are being used (regardless of UN approval), and 2) a right if major humanitarian organisations to sue governments for failure to fulfil this obligation
Kyiv Open, Kiev, Ukraine, May 4-5
- R1: THBT racial profiling is a legitimate tool in fighting crime
- R2: THW prohibit the military from embedding journalists
- R3: THBT all state funding of the art should be allocated to artists through a random and equal lottery
- R4: THW introduce a statute of limitation on murder
- R5: THB the US should unilaterally intervene in Syria
- Semi: THBT police force should have quotas of proportional representation of races
- Final: THW forgive the group of young people who blew up a monument of Stalin in Ukraine.
Oxford Women’s Open, Oxford, England, May 10-11
- R1: THW ban religious preachers in the public sphere
- R2: THBT the USA should give South Korea independent control of a nuclear arsenal
- R3: TH, as a professional female athlete, would not pose in a sexualised manner for magazines and commercials
- R4: In areas where hostage taking is a tactic, THW require soldiers to kill squad mates who are about to be captured
- R5: THW subsidise art that glorifies the working class
Denny Crane, Belgrade, Serbia, May 10-12 (translated)
- R1 : THW require all politicians who are running for election to do a test of general knowledge whose results would then be made public
- R2 : THW require from companies to share their annual profit to all employees
- R3 : THW abolish gender categories for the awards in culture
- R4 : THW not punish offenders for non-violent crimes with prison sentence
- R5 : Humanity has found an alien species of an unknown level of technological development. Motion: THW not make first contact with an alien
- Semi: THBT on October 5th blood should have been spilled
- Final: THW censor art that desecrates religious symbols
Zeit Debatte Aachen, Aachen, Germany, May 10-12 (translated)
- R1: THW make organ donations after death mandatory
- R2: THW not export any weapons out of the EU
- R3: THW replace the three-tiered education system with one common high school (with infoslide)
- R4: THW check all Doctorate theses of living persons for plagiarism
- R5: THW welcome a UK exit out of the EU
- Semi: THW ban alternative medicine
- Final: THW not have introduced a common European currency
Stockholm IV, Stockholm, Sweden, May 10-12
- R1: THW completely abolish all subsidies and preferential treatment to the farming industry in the EU
- R2: You are a poor 19-year old woman living in a former Soviet state. You have little education, no obvious career prospects, and few opportunities for economic advancement in your own country. THW register as a mail order bride
- R3: TH, which is the EU, would sue any individual who speaks untrue of or defames the European Union
- R4: TH as Israel would immediately intervene in Syria
- R5: THBT billionaires have a moral obligation to donate their money to the US government instead of charities
- Semi: You are Arnold Schwarzenegger, You are presented a script in which you are asked to portray a SS Nazi Officer who is presented in a positive humane light. THW take on the role
- Final: THBT the EU should adopt the formation of a constitutional anti-theistic atheist society as one of its declared goals (Infoslides: The current stated goal of the european union, as stipulated in the treaty of rome, is an "ever closer union" Anti-theistic atheism society is a society that while still allowing religions to exist,more than just being secular actively seeks to eliminate religion from state institutions, laws and actively promotes atheism to the general public
Kalliope Debattoernooi, Groningen, Netherlands, May 11-12 (translated)
- R1: THW make membership of a political party mandatory
- R2: TH celebrates (approves of) the existence of religion
- R3: THW pay male teachers in primary school more than female teachers
- R4: TH regrets the founding of the state of Israel
- R5: THW ban media from publishing graphic depictions of terrorist attacks
- Semi: THW ban private companies from choosing political positions and promoting them
- Final: THW make fathers responsible for children, in financial and other terms, only if they have given explicit permission for their birth
Belgrade Open, Belgrade, Serbia, May 17-19
- R1: THBT Djokar Tsarnev, the Boston Marathon bomber, should be given the death penalty
- R2: THW take the children of Roma who live traditional lifestyles into state care
- R3: THW reverse austerity measures in Europe
- R4: THW allow voters to dismiss their government during its term through citizen initiated referenda
- R5: THBT EU should offer Middle Eastern and North African states membership in exchange for successful democratic transformation
- Semi: Additive manufacturing or 3D printing is the process of making a three-dimensional solid object of almost any shape from a downloadable design. Currently, they can be used to create shoes, electronic devises, guns and even houses. In future, their uses are likely to grow. Motion: THW ban the sale of 3D printers to households
- Final: THW replace the national sport teams of Ex-Yugoslavian republics with new unified teams
Brüder Grimm Cup, Marburg, Germany, May 19-20 (translated)
- R1: Should self-incriminating reports for tax evasion no longer lead to amnesty/ower punishment?
- R2: Should Members of Parliaments be allowed to have family members as employees?
- R3: Should works of art no longer be restored?
- R4: Should genetic testing right after birth be made mandatory?
- Semi: Should Telecommunications providers be required by law to ensure net neutrality?
- Final: Should there be a quota for young people in top political offices?
History Tournament, Marburg, Germany, May 27 (translated)
- R1: TH is Martin Luther. THW not publish the Theses
- R2: During WWII: THBT the Western Allies should under no circumstances cooperate with Stalin
- R3: In the middle of the 19th century: THW stop export of food products from Ireland until the Great Famine ends
- Final: TH is Gandhi. THW declare war on the English occupation
Deutschsprachige Debattiermeisterschaft, Munchen, Germany, May 30 - June 2
- R1: Should bullfighting be forbidden?
- R2: Should teams be excluded from sports matches when one of their team members has taken doping?
- R3: Seed companies seek out strong-yielding plants and sterilise the seeds. The plants cannot produce fertile seeds and the companies protect their license rights. Motion: Should plant sterilisation be banned?
- R4: Assume the technical possibility of a manned flight to Mars, without the possibility to survive there on a long-term basis, or to return: Should we send a manned spacecraft to Mars?
- R5: Germany has about 1.3 million so-called Austocker: employees whose work salaries lie below the poverty level and who therefore receive additional unemployment benefits from the state (Kombilohn) Motion: Should we abolish adding to wages until the income reaches the poverty line?
- R6: After a civil war, should the ethnic groups involved be separated, even through forced resettlement?
- Octofinal: Should commuter allowances be abolished?
- Quarterfinal: Servicemen and women are equal before the law in the Armed Forces. In practice, women are not used on the frontline (as special commandos for example). Motion: should women be employed in the frontline?
- Semi final: Should prisoners on hungerstrike be forcefed?
- Final: When the Bundestag votes on matters of conscience, the members can vote without party discipline. Should the People decide on matters of conscience instead of the Parliament?
Riga Debate Academy, Riga, Latvia, May 31-June 2
- R1: THW remove the right to vote upon retirement
- R2: THBT the targeting of religious sites is a legitimate tool of war
- R3: THW make fines relative to wealth
- R4: TH, as a Russian-speaking Latvian, would not vote for a Russian party in Latvian elections.
- Final: THW require couples that intend to enter into official partnerships to be informed of their partners full genetic profile and other health issues
Bristol Open, Bristol, England, June 8
- R1: THW prosecute attempted murder and murder as the same crime
- R2: THBT the disappearance of marriage from society will be more beneficial for LGBT individuals than their inclusion in it
- R3: THBT the USA should fund Private Military Companies (PMCs) to fight the war on drugs in Mexico
- R4: TH regrets the use of extreme tactics by feminist groups in countries with poor equalities records (like Femen, Pussy Riot and their supporters)
- Final: Where a suitable job is available in an individual's country of origin, THW require anyone wishing to emigrate to first repay the state the cost of any government services they have received to that point.
GDPPC Open, Budapest, Hungary, June 21-23
- R1: THBT tech companies should never share user information with governments.
- R2: In fighting prostitution, THW criminalize only the demand.
- R3: THBT Stark Industries should have open-sourced the Iron man suit.
- R4: THBT IMF should pay reparations to Greece.
- R5: THBT The New York Post shouldn't have published the photo (edit: showing a man about to be overrun by a metro and die)
- Semi: THW restart the Esperanto project.
- Final: THBT offenders with drug dependency should be sent into treatment rather than to prison.
Berlin IV, Berlin, Germany, June 21-23
- R1: THW forbid the Supreme Court to annul legislation.
- R2: THW ban fortune-telling for profit.
- R3: As an emerging nation, THW allow the manufacture and sale of generic drugs even in cases where patents or international treaties are infringed.
- R4: THW give security services total and unrestricted access to citizens’ data on social media and webmail services.
- Semi: THW introduce an immediate democracy. (Information slide: Immediate democracy is a method in which citizens can change their vote at any time. The number of MPs given to each party is allocated on a daily basis and represents the current support percentage of the population. In this system there are no elections, but the number of MPs from each party can change every day.)
- Final: THW support popular uprisings against dictators even in cases they are lead by Islamist extremist.
Elbe Open, Magdeburg, Germany, June 22-23 (translated)
- R1: THW grant patients the full right to inspect records of their own treatment from psychotherapists
- R2: THB the continuing European Central Bank Policy of low interest rate focus is wrong
- R3: TH does not want a society in which people are immortal
- R4: THW force theatres that are funded by public money to allow the public to determine its programming
- Semi: THW remove the 5% election threshold for Islamic parties in all parliamentary elections
- Final: THW promote pornography that challenges gender cliches
Essex IV, Essex, England, June 29
- R1: TH supports the use of child labour in the developing world.
- R2: THBT Beyonce is good for feminism.
- R3: THBT community vigilante groups have been a force for good in the fight against gangs and gang crime in Mexico.
- R4: TH regrets the rise and dominance of Facebook (and other social media sites like Twitter) in Western liberal democracies
- Final: THBT the African Union should refuse to cooperate with the ICC and instead pursue their own means of justice.
Vienna Mini, Vienna, Austria, June 28-29
- R1: THW privatise healthcare
- R2: THBT that Australia should replace its current flag with the aboriginal one
- R3: THW eliminate standardised testing for university admission
- R4: THBT Pixar's next animated motion picture should have a same-sex couple as protagonists
- Final: As Quadriga, THW not have retracted Putin's award (info)
ULU Westminster IV, England, July 6-7
- R1: THBT Greece should ban the Golden Dawn party.
- R2: THW force universities to make all their lectures available for free online
- R3: TH regrets the rise of mega-rich football clubs (such as Chelsea, Manchester City, PSG, Monaco, Anzhi M. etc)
- R4: THBT Barack Hussein Obama should call off the prosecution of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden
- R5: THW give extra votes to young adults
- Final: THW offer EU membership to Middle Eastern and North African states that achieve successful democratic transition
English Open, Israel, July 7
- R1: THW ban international adoption
- R2: Info Slide - State capitalism is an economic model in which companies are privately owned and compete in a free market of consumers, yet the state often intervenes by investing heavily in favored firms, forcing managerial changes, and making other decisions aimed at stabilizing and strengthening the economy. Famous state-capitalist nations include Singapore, China and Russia. Motion: TH supports state capitalism over liberal capitalism.
- R3: Info Slide - The US is currently involved in major nation building projects in Afghanistian, including funding and support of democratic institutions, empowerment of local leaders and investment in education. Motion: THBT The US should continue its nation building efforts after it has left Afghanistan militarily.
- R4: Info slide - In recent decades, many educational institutions have instructed their teachers that bullying is a result of low self-esteem and other personal problems. Motion: THBT educators should abandon the "pitiful bully" approach
- Final: THBT citizens should be more worried about Google and Facebook's access to their data, than the governments' access
Mix Team (pro-am tournament), Belgrade, Serbia, July 7-8 (translated)
- R1 : THW introduce special schools for LGBTQI.
- R2: THB that overthrowing Mohamed Morsi was a mistake.
- R3: THW legally permit soldiers to refuse to participate in military actions or missions on the basis of conscience
- R4: THW introduce inheritance tax of 100%
- Semi: THW provide parents access to their children profiles on social networks
- Final: THW privatise all education
Imperial No Notes Open, London, England, July 13
- R1: THBT in areas where there is a high level of drug-related crime, that laws surrounding the sale and use of drugs should not be enforced.
- R2: TH, as a parent in a western liberal democracy, would teach its child to respect authority.
- R3: THBT comedians should not use racist, sexist, or homophobic language, even for the purposes of satire.
- R4: TH, as Prometheus, would snub mankind
- Final: as a promising young graduate, you are offered two jobs. One with a charity that you would enjoy working for ("First Teach"), with reasonable pay. The other with a large multinational firm (DelcentureMG) that provides higher pay, and better long term career prospects. Motion: THW sell out to the man.
Frischlingscup, Tübingen, Germany, July 13 (translated)
- R1: Do we need mandatory voting?
- R2: Should modes of energy production that significantly alter the Umweltnieschen (surrounding/environment?) be banned?
- R3: Should there no longer be a possibility of early release in case of life sentences?
- Final: Should we decide to categorically deny foreign missions for our army?
Earlsfort Open, Dublin, Ireland, July 20
- R1: THW require all welfare recipients to take drug tests, and if they fail, cut off all monetary benefits and replace with non-monetary benefits such as food/clothing vouchers
- R2: THBT post-conflict societies should set a history curriculum that emphasises the wrongs done by their own community during that conflict
- R3: THBT juries should be of the same demographic as the accused and victim in each case
- R4: THBT the overthrow of Egypt's President, Mohammed Morsi, is a setback to the goals of the Arab Spring
- R5: THW hold companies to a higher ethical standard than the law imposes on them
- Semi: Presuming the technology existed to alter people's sexual orientation, THW make that technology available on the national health service
- Final: TH, as President Obama, would grant a presidential pardon to Edward Snowden
Campeonato Mundial Universitario de Debate en Español (CMUDE or Worlds in Spanish), Madrid, Spain, July 24-30 (translated)
- R1: THW punish parents for the crimes their minor children commit
- R2: THW give the death penalty to government officials that engage in acts of corruption
- R3: TH regrets welfare policies promoted by Eurozone countries currently immersed in a debt crisis
- R4: THW pay poor people to not have children
- R5: THW prohibit in financial settlements lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies
- R6: THW allow organ donation only to those individuals who are donors
- R7: THW help/support snitches (informants, informers)
- R8: THBT developing countries should nationalise companies that extract their national resources
- R9: TH supports media censorship during times of political crisis
- Quarter: TH regrets that Brazil is the host of the football World Cup 2014
- Semi: TH would eliminate the Catholic Church on a global level (the Church’s global governing level?)
- Final: TH repents of the Spanish colonisation of Latin America
Patras Open, Patras, Greece, July 26-29
- R1: THW ban the Golden Dawn
- R2: THBT the state should not give religious institutions any financial benefits
- R3: THBT the United Kingdom should abolish its monarchy
- R4: TH regrets Disney's continuation of the Star Wars film saga
- R5: THW abolish national sports teams
- Semi: THBT the City of Thessaloniki should name one of its major avenues after Kemal Atatürk
- Final: TH as Socrates would not have drunk the hemlock
Bodden Cup, Greifswald, Germany, July 27-28 (translated)
- R1: THW grant prisoners their right to vote back as soon as they are released
- R2: THW support separatist movements in the EU
- R3: THW employ asylum seekers as porters in train stations
- R4: TH, which is Brazil, regrets its bid for hosting the 2014 World Cup
- R5: THW abolish the separation period (Trennungsfristen) for marriages - (i.e. create quick ends to marriage?)
- Semi: THW limit the amount for new leases to a maximum of 10% above the local rent index
- Final: TH welcomes medical progress that enables women to have children after the menopause
Heart of Europe British Parliamentary Debate track, Olomouc, Czech Republic, July 29-August 1
- R1: THW legalize prostitution.
- R2: THBT immigration from developing countries should be made illegal.
- R3: THBT abortions are morally justifiable.
- R4: THW not cooperate with international financial institutions.
- R5: THBT national states should not support minority cultures to the detriment of the majority culture.
- Final: THBT free sharing of copyrighted information should be tolerated.
SOAS Open, London, England, August 3
- R1: THBT the LGBT movement should oppose gay bars that ban entrance to straight customers
- R2: THBT the government should subsidise private home ownership
- R3: THBT in the event of Scotland voting for independence in 2014, the governmental authorities of the North of England should petition the Scottish government for membership of the new Scottish state
- R4: THBT the Church of England should not take official stances on social, political and economic issues not directly related to items of doctrine
- Final: THBT the Norwegian Nobel Prize commitee should retrospectively remove Barrack Obama's peace prize
SOAS invitational, London, England, August 4
- R1: THBT new democracies should prevent revolutionary leaders from standing for elected office
- R2: THBT increased female participation in violent sports (such as boxing) is good for women
- R3: THBT the WTO should allow developing countries to impose tariffs on developed countries
- R4: THBT the USA should pay $1 trillion in war reparations to North Korea
- Final: THW give the public the power, via referendum, to pardon whistleblowers.
DAPDI, Rotterdam, Netherlands, August 8-9
- R1: THW legalise assisted suicide for any reason.
- R2: THBT politicians have a right to a private life.
- R3: THW require corporations which operate in both the developed and developing worlds to apply the same labour rights to both.
- R4: TH, as a woman, would sleep her way to the top.
- R5: THW invade North Korea.
- Semi: This House believes that the media, including but not limited to journalists and photographers, have a duty to portray racist public figures in a negative light.
- Final: This House, given the technology, would allow medical procedures which endow human beings with superpowers
Manchester EUDC, Manchester, England, August 18-23
- R1:THW ban video games in which the player engages in brutal and immoral violence in a realistic setting
- R2: THW require international development aid budgets to be approved by popular referenda
- R3: TH, as the Muslim Brotherhood, would sincerely offer to cease resistance, participate in elections and respect a liberal constitution
- R4: THW permit government agencies to conduct automated surveillance without court authorisation
- R5: THBT Israel should allow members of the Jewish diaspora to vote in elections
- R6: TH applauds the rise of songs by female pop artists that glorify assertive female sexuality. For example: Nothing on, I strut around; I do it big, I shut it down; I wonder if you’ll be able to handle me; Rita Ora – R.I.P
- R7: THBT it is in China’s strategic interest to cease all non-humanitarian assistance to North-Korea until it verifiably ends its nuclear programme
- R8: THBT Barack Obama should not have granted legal immunity to officials who ordered the use of torture
- R9: THW provide welfare in the form of basic goods and services rather than cash payments
- ESL Quarter: THBT men should consistently call out and correct chauvinistic claims by colleagues and co-workers
- Open Quarter: THBT African countries should adopt English as the principle language of instruction
- ESL Semi: THBT environmental agencies should start a campaign of sabotage and destruction against major pollution companies
- Open Semi: TH regrets that Western Media demonised Islamist Terrorists rather than portraying them as criminals with legitimate grievances
- ESL Final: THBT the state should not fund any works of art or performances that the average citizen would not recognize as having artistic merit
- Open Final: THW give more votes to citizens according to their performance on a current affairs test