Waiting for My Superman

By: Mary Wever

         I started playing the tenor saxophone in 6th grade.  I was really excited about playing a new instrument.  Since my dad knew this, he called me one day to surprise me with news that he was going to take me to the Kenny G concert in a few weeks!

         What?  Kenny G!?!  I was so incredibly excited for a few reasons.  One is that I got to go see a saxophone genius.  I actually remember lying on my bed listening to his smooth jazz CD while daydreaming about switching to the soprano sax someday.  It would have to be in college though because they don’t let you play that particular instrument in my school.  But the other reason was more important to me.  I was really looking forward to spending some time alone with my dad.  You see, my parents were divorced and my little brother, Jeff, was quite a handful, so I usually didn’t get too much attention when he was around.  So, I was thrilled when my dad said it’d be just the two of us doing something that he knew I’d enjoy.

         A few days before the concert, my mom took me shopping.  In middle school, it was not cool to wear a dress.  In fact, I remember hating them.  However, I thought this special occasion with my dad deserved an extra-special outfit.  So, I picked out a royal blue flowered A-line dress that hit right at the knees.  I knew that dress would go perfectly with a pair of brown sandals I had at home, and I couldn’t wait to twirl around in it like I did when I was little.

         Finally, it was the day of the concert.  As soon as I got home from school, I quickly showered and threw on my new dress.  Since my dad wouldn’t be there until 6:00p.m. to pick me up for dinner and the show, I took my time primping my hair.  When 5:55 came, I was ready to go.  I’m never ready on time, so this was a big deal.  I sat on the edge of my bed, careful not to wrinkle my new dress, and eagerly waited for my dad’s car to pull down our long driveway.

         6:15 came and went.  Still no dad.  That’s ok, he was usually running a few minutes behind.  It wouldn’t be my dad if he wasn’t late.   Crud, now I won’t be able to have dinner before the show.  Oh well.

         6:30... still waiting.  I started to get a little panicky because the concert was supposed to start at 7:00.  My mom came into my room and asked if I needed anything.  Why can’t she just leave me alone?  So, I moved my location to the front step outside my house.  That was better anyway because then I could just jump in my dad’s car and go.

         6:50... my dress was getting a little damp and wrinkly from the sweat beading on my skin.  I don’t usually like to be late, but that’s ok.  At least I get to hang out with my dad.  This was when I realized that I was more excited about spending time with him than I was about the concert anyway.  Maybe my dad forgot the tickets at home and had to run back to get them.  That would be like him, I thought with a smile on my face.

         7:05... my mom peeked her head outside.  “Mar, do you want dinner now?”

          “No!” I snapped without even looking behind me to make eye contact.  I didn’t want her to see the tears in my eyes.

         I don’t know how long I sat on those steps, but I remember never giving up hope that my dad would show up.  He had to know how much this night meant to me.  He wouldn’t try to upset me on purpose.  Did it mean as much to him?

         I remember going to bed that night without eating, and it took a long time before I took that dress off.  I didn’t talk to anyone, and I didn’t want anyone to talk to me.  I don’t remember if I was shocked or sad or frustrated or disappointed.  I just knew that I didn’t want anyone to know how I was affected.  After all, I was too cool to go to a dumb concert with my dad anyway.