Creating a “My Map”
Everything you need to know about creating your own map using Google Maps
Log-in and Map Creation
- Go to Google Maps http://maps.google.com/
- Sign in using your google account (if you don’t have one, go create one.)
- click on My Maps
- Click on Create New Map
- Give it a Title and Description and choose an appropriate privacy setting.
- Click Save, then click Done.
- Now you can begin to edit your map.
Navigation in Google Maps
- Moving around in Google Maps is intuitive (try clicking and dragging the map)
- If you need more detailed instructions visit the Navigation section of the online Maps User Guide.
Editing your Map
- When you want to edit your map, click on Edit to bring the editing tools into view.
- When you are done editing, click Done.
- For instructions on editing your map, visit the Editing Map section of the online Maps User Guide.
- Adding additional content such as images and video is also possible. See here.
Sharing your Map
- To share your map with others, click on the “Send’ button at the upper right corner of your map.
- A new window appears. Fill in the fields then click “Send” and an email will be sent with a link to your “My Map.”
Creating a Map Video (3:30)
This work is licensed by Patrick Green under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.