2210 St Clare, Ville Mont Royal (Qc), H3R 2P7 ● 514.508.1929
Highlights of Qualifications
- Twenty years of professional experience as a software team manager, academic researcher and software developer, including 5 years at Google.
- M. Sc., Ph. D. and Postdoc studies in Computer Science. Research focusing on bipedal control, machine learning and physics simulation.
- Published 20 significant scientific papers, patents or book chapters.
- Founder of two corporations, including ArcBees Consulting (currently ~10 employees).
- Invited speaker at Google I/O 2011, and speaker in many public events.
- Community leader on 3 open source projects and of a world-wide academic workgroup.
- Senior software engineer and manager at Google in the Chrome team. Managed the New Tab Page team (5 engineers). Member of the Chrome Machine Intelligence group. Work on Google Search homepage and Google social products. Co-authored 5 patents and 2 defensive publications.
- Lead developer on BookedIN.net a web-based booking application for SMBs built running on Google AppEngine. Featured in developer sandbox at Google I/O 2011.
- Co-authored cartwheel-3d, a popular engine for physics-based character animation.
- Developer on two video games for the PlayStation 2, GameCube and XBox.
- Member of the research team for the Matrox Parhelia graphic chip. Designed and implemented various hardware algorithms, including a patented displacement surfaces algorithm, anti-aliasing and NURBS surfaces.
Open source involvement
- Initiated GWT-Platform, the most popular Model-View-Presenter framework for the Google Web Toolkit now being used by an estimated 1000 projects around the world.
- Initiated Jukito, an automocking testing framework in Java built on Google Guice.
- Contributor on Google Gin, co-design the extension feature.
- Co-presented Highly Productive GWT: Rapid Development with App Engine, Objectify, RequestFactory, and gwt-platform at Google I/O 2011 and other forums.
- Postdoc researcher at University of British Columbia with 4 high impact publications in physics-based character animation. Created popular reinforcement-learning based bipedal control systems.
- Ph.D. on analysis and compression of large motion capture databases thesis ranked in UdeM top 10%.
- Lecturer during 10 years for courses in computer graphics and software engineering.
- Organized the 2009 and 2010 SIGGRAPH BOF meetings on physics-based character animation, bringing together renowned researchers and industrial leaders in the field.
- Member of the 2010 Eurographics poster committee and the 2011 SIGGRAPH Asia poster committee.
- Recipient of numerous scholarships and awards, including NSERC Ph.D. scholarship.
- Research assistant in theoretical computer science and algorithmic.
Puzzle and boardgame design
- Won the 2006 Boulogne-Billancourt international boardgame design contest.
- Won 2 awards with boardgame Québec published in 2011 by Le Scorpion Masqué.
- Wrote a 10 article series on game theory for French magazine Des Jeux sur un Plateau.
2011 – today Senior software developer and manager, Google, Montreal (QC).
2010 – 2011 Lead developer, Coldwin Software, Winnipeg (SK).
2010 Founder and CTO, ArcBees Consulting, Québec (QC).
2008 – 2010 Postdoctoral teaching fellow, UBC, Vancouver (BC).
2001 – 2007 Lecturer, École Polytechnique, Montreal (QC).
2001 – 2003 Software developer, Digital Fiction, Montreal (QC).
2000 – 2001 3D Asic Architect, Matrox Graphics, Montreal (QC).
1999 – 2001 Founder and President, Neo Dimensions, Montreal (QC).
1998 Software Developer, Cescom, Trois-Rivières (QC).
1997 – 1998 Teaching and Research assistant, U. de Montréal, Montreal (QC).
1996 Software developer intern, Nortel, Montreal (QC).
1995 Software developer intern, NetCorp, Brossard (QC).
1993 Software developer intern, Teleglobe Canada, Montreal (QC).
Ph.D., Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec (2008)
Major: Computer science. Thesis: Compression and analysis of motion capture data.
M.Sc., Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec (2000)
Major: Computer science. Thesis: Simulation and rendering of fire.
B.Sc., Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec (1998)
Major: Computer science. Minor: Mathematics.
Selected Publications, Patents and Book Chapters
R. Navalgund, J. S. Cohen, and P. Beaudoin. Search query refinement interface. Patent Pending US20160048567A1, 2013.
B. Bauer, P. Beaudoin, C, Bentzel, S. C. Truong, and M. Tungare. Private browsing mode access for developers. Patent Pending US20150254475A1, 2012.
S. Mourad, C.K. Phillips, M.-A. Courteau, and P. Beaudoin. Anonymous personalized recommendation method. Patent US8521735B1, 2012.
S. Coros, P. Beaudoin and M. van de Panne. Generalized Biped Walking Control. SIGGRAPH 2010.
S. Coros, P. Beaudoin and M. van de Panne. Robust Task-based Control Policies for Physics-based Characters. SIGGRAPH Asia 2009.
P. Beaudoin, M. van de Panne, P. Poulin and S. Coros. Motion-Motif Graphs. SCA 2008.
P. Beaudoin, P. Poulin, and M. van de Panne. Adapting Wavelet Compression to Human Motion Capture Clips. GI 2007.
J.-F. St-Amour, E. Paquette, P. Poulin, and P. Beaudoin. Real-time Soft Shadows using the PDSM Technique. ShaderX4 Advanced Rendering Techniques, ShaderX Series, Charles River Media, pp. 299-311, 2006.
D. Savine, P. Beaudoin, J. Guardado, and J.-J. Ostiguy. Dynamic tessellation of a base mesh. Patent US6940505B1, 2002.