* 1 ( 8-oz pkg ) tempeh, sliced into 24 very thin slices or as many as you can slice
* 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
* 2 Tb apple cider vinegar
* 1 tsp light brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
* 2 tsp liquid smoke, optional
* 1 Tb canola oil
* Smoked paprika, optional
1. Lay tempeh slices in 2 13- x 9-inch baking dishes. Bring soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, ancho chile powder, and ½ cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat, and stir in liquid smoke, if using. Pour over tempeh slices. Let cool, then cover and chill 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Carefully transfer tempeh slices to prepared baking sheet, and discard marinade.
3. Brush slices with canola oil, and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Flip tempeh slices, brush with oil, and bake 5 to 7 minutes more, or until crisp and dark brown.