Coconut Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 oz) package sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 1/4 cups), divided
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Creamy Vanilla Filling:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room-temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup coconut into a small bowl; set aside. Place remaining coconut in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachemnt, beat butter with sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce mixer to low and gradually add flour mixture and ground coconut; mix just until combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. Add vanilla extract and increase speed to high. Beat until filling is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to sealable bag and snip off a corner.
- Pipe filling on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with second cookie, forming a sandwich. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies. Roll edges in reserved coconut, and chill until ready to serve. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Yields: 2 ½ dozen
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com