Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
brining bags (you can get them at Sur La Table) or heavy-duty plastic Ziploc Freezer bags
2 1/2 pound beef brisket
5 cloves garlic, cut in half
8 cups water
1/2 cup vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 bay leaves
1 tspn dry mustard
2 tspn peppercorns
1 pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tspn whole cloves
1/2 tspn allspice
4 garlic cloves, diced
- In a large pot, mix together the water, sugar, kosher salt, white vinegar, bay leaves, 1 tspn of the peppercorns, 1/2 tspn of the dry mustard, and a pinch of ground cloves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then let it cool. This mixture is called the brine.
- Put the beef brisket in a brining bag. Then pour in the brine mixture and the 5 garlic cloves. The brine should cover the beef at all times so try to seal the bag with as little air remaining as possible. Then, place the bag in a larger bowl (in case the bag leaks). You may have to place a can of soup on top of the bag to keep the beef below the surface of the brine.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator for 7 days.
- After 7 days, remove the beef brisket from the brining bag and discard the brine.
- Rinse the brisket with water and then place the meat in an oiled Dutch Oven or large pot.
- Add enough water to cover the lower 2/3 of the beef brisket.
- Add the remaining 1 tspn of peppercorns, the allspice, the remaining 1/2 tspn of dry mustard, 4 diced garlic cloves, and 1/4 tspn of whole cloves.
- Heat the pot over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Skim off any foam that forms.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 4 hours.
- Remove from pot and cut the brisket across the grain of the meat.
3 cups of the mixture in which the brisket was simmering.
1 head of cabbage, sliced into thin ribbons.
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Add the 3 cups of the brisket mixture and the cabbage to a large skillet.
- Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Heat the cabbage until it has softened but still has a slight crunch.
- Remove from heat and drain off any excess water.
- Add butter to the cabbage and stir.
- Serve hot.