18 July 2017
M.S. Management, Regis University, 2007
M.S. Physical Oceanography, Florida State University, 1995
B.A. Marine Science, Jacksonville University, 1987
Senior Project Planner for the Weather Information System Evolution (WISE) section within NOAA’s Global System Division. WISE develops software for the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) used by the National Weather Service in an operational setting. Responsible for plans, budgets, milestones, timelines, coordination, tracking, and reporting of software projects and project deliverables as well as the identification of constraints, assumptions, and risks that may affect project timelines or proposed work. Provide leadership in decision-making, strategic planning, personnel management, and conflict resolution. Mentor personnel on project management fundamentals and productivity aides. Supervise CIRES personnel.
Senior Project Planner, NOAA’s Global System Division (Earth System Research Laboratory)
Technical Project Manager, NOAA Environmental Infrastructure and Interoperability Group (NESII), NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory
Associate Scientist, Software Engineer, Project Manager, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
Oceanographer, Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center
- Managed the integration of the Earth System CoG collaboration environment with the Earth System Grid Federation data archive. In one year coordinated thirteen software releases that completed the integration on time and with all required features. Significantly contributed to both the code base and front-end look and feel.
- Managed the transition of the ES-DOC metadata Questionnaire to support several Earth system modeling projects with expanded metadata ontologies, including the Dynamical Core model Intercomparison Project and the Earth system bridge project. Acted as liaison with product owners, conducted code reviews, initiated new testing methodologies, and coordinated the release process.
- Served as mentor for other software engineers, teaching them the entire software release process including how to prioritize development tasks, establish testing frameworks, debugging best practices, and the release process.
- Served for 26 years in both the United States Navy and the Colorado Army National Guard. Career spanned such diverse fields as Surface Warfare, Oceanography, Army Communications and Computers, Military Police, Field Artillery, and Military to Civilian Affairs. Awarded the Legion of Merit. Retired at the rank of Colonel.
- Managed the development of self-describing version of the Community Earth System Model (CESM) and its integration into an operational web portal at Purdue University.
- Managed the development a hydrological-atmospheric coupled modeling system bridging the personal computer - supercomputer interface through innovative web services.
- Managed the Earth System Curator software project using Agile project management. Curator developed a metadata standard for atmospheric dynamical cores and accompanying RDF/OWL framework for metadata exploration and display.
- Developed an operational atmospheric tracer analysis package using Python and NCAR Command Language. Over 1600 daily images were created and made available via an interactive web portal on a self-managed web server.
- Served as leader of NCAR’s Software Engineering Assembly, a representative body whose mission is to improve software engineering practices through greater professional development, mentorship, and the development of best practices.
- Served as leader of the Web Advisory Group at NCAR, a representative body investigating and recommending innovative web-based technologies.
- Developed comprehensive online portal for the NCAR Command Language including the development of over 400 script examples, 800 separate images, and comprehensive user’s manuals. This portal is extensively used by government, university, and international researchers. Taught over 20 workshops on the language.
Legion of Merit
Army Commendation Medal
Special Recognition Award, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Meritorious Service Medal
Special Achievement Award, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Department of Commerce Certificate of Excellence for Public Environmental Support