- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey (no more than 93% lean)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz), drained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until simmering. Add the turkey and brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl to drain.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and sweat, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, Worchestshire and Dijon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in peas, browned turkey, salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared baking dish and place on a baking sheet.
- Mound the hash browns on top of the filling, pressing lightly to keep it in place. Drizzle butter over hash browns. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Return to oven and continue to bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
Yields: 8 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com