Volunteer Operations Assistant
Purpose of volunteer role
ALL FM is a vibrant community radio station, based in Levenshulme, Manchester.
We are planning on putting volunteers at the heart of core activities within the organisation, through a range of new volunteer roles.
Exciting opportunities have emerged to become part of a volunteer team that helps manage day-to-day activity at the station and co-ordinate the wider volunteer workforce for ALL FM.
● Managing stocks of essential items such as refreshments and cleaning materials.
● Emptying the bins/recycling tubs and ensuring that the station remains a pleasant environment for all to work in.
● Maintaining the ALL FM Info account and forwarding emails where appropriate
● General cleaning / tidying of studios and offices.
● Opening and closing the building
● Handling bookings for the meeting room and studio 2
● Noting and prioritizing technical faults for the engineer.
● Maintaining the ALL FM database of active and non-active volunteers.
● Processing new volunteer applications for the station and forwarding to the relevant area supervisors.
● Co-ordinating meetings/between Volunteers and ALL FM staff/Steering Group Team Leaders.
● Organising interviews between new volunteers and relevant interviewers.
● Organising induction training between new volunteers and ALL FM staff/ Steering Group Team Leaders.
● Assisting ALL FM staff with updating and developing Generic Volunteer Handbooks, Induction Packs, policies and procedures.
● Updating Studio Manuals and any other documents as requested by ALL FM staff.
● Distributing mail and answering phone enquiries,logging and distributing enquiries to the relevant people.
● Working alongside the Marketing and PR team to contribute articles and stories for the quarterly volunteer newsletter.
● Develop new ways to communicate effectively with ALL Fm’s volunteer workforce, for example through the production of quarterly volunteer e-newsletters.
● Maintaining and updating the events folder for show use.
● Supporting ALL FM staff in the planning and promotion of the ALL FM AGM.
● Liaising with ALL FM’s Volunteer Events and Fundraising Team to ensure that all events are promoted effectively within shows.
● Identifying volunteers with specialist skills to run scheduled training activities and workshops in line with the Volunteer Training & Development Calendar for active volunteers.
● Assisting in the planning, co-ordination and promotion of regular training activities for existing volunteers.
● Maintaining and distributing stocks of equipment to volunteers.
● Develop a generic induction/information session to be rolled out to all types of volunteer roles at the station, including information on shows, listenership, local demographics, history of the station, funders etc.
Dos and Don'ts
DO let supervisors know if you cannot make it in to volunteer, providing as much notice as possible.
DO NOT volunteer on Operation duties outside of agreed hours of volunteering.
DO NOT use Operations Volunteering time for doing preparation for shows if there are volunteering duties to fulfill.
● Volunteers are expected to attend at the station every week at a regular allocated day and time.
● It is compulsory to attend team meetings.
This volunteer position requires you to work at the ALL FM station.
Volunteers who are interested in this role need to have:
● A passion for ALL FM and the role of Community Radio.
● Some experience of using basic IT, but additional training can be given if needed.
● Excellent listening, verbal and written skills.
● Creative and open to ideas.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Confidence in speaking to new people.
● Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
● Good organisational skills.
● Experience of working with databases (desirable).
● Experience of using Myriad/Adobe Audition (desirable)
CRB checks are legally required for this role.
Regular one-to-one supervision with the Volunteer Operations Manager.
Quarterly team meetings.
For further information, or to apply for this role then please contact :
email@example.com and mark it for the attention of Kevin Baines
You will be invited to attend an informal interview and a general induction before you take on this volunteer role.