Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies
For the Chocolate Dough
* 1/2 cup canola oil
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
* 3 Tb non-dairy milk
* 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 Tb black unsweetened cocoa powder or more regular unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt
For the Filling
* 3/4 cup natural salted peanut butter, crunchy or creamy style
* 2/3 cup powdered sugar
* 2 to 3 Tb soy creamer or nondairy milk
* 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, non-dairy milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, black cocoa powder if using, baking soda, and salt. Mix to form a moist dough.
2. Make the peanut butter filling : In another mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together peanut butter, powdered sugar, 2 Tb of the soy creamer, and vanilla to form a moist but firm dough. If peanut butter is dry and crumbly, stir in the remaining Tb of non-dairy milk. If dough is too wet, knead in a little extra powdered sugar.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Shape the Cookies
1. Create the centers of the cookies by rolling the peanut butter dough into 24 balls. Scoop a generous tablespoon of chocolate dough, flatten into a thin disc, and place a peanut butter ball in the center. Fold the sides of the chocolate dough up and around the peanut butter center and roll into a smooth ball between your palms. Place on a sheet of waxed paper and repeat with remaining dough. If desired, gently flatten cookies slightly, but this is not necessary.
2. Place the dough balls on lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cookies stand for 5 minutes before moving them to wired racks to complete cooling. Store cookies in tightly covered container. If desired, warm cookies in a microwave for 10 to 12 seconds before serving.