Homemade Cheez-It Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 (7-ounce) bag grated extra-sharp 2% Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4-5 tablespoons cold water
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine flour, butter, cheese, salt, and cayenne. Pulse until crumbly. Pulse in water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
- Press into a disc and wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; Set aside.
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Gently peel off the top layer of parchment pepper. Using a pizza cutter, trim dough into a rectangle, then cut into 2-inch squares. Using a metal spatula, transfer squares onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until crackers are just slightly turning light brown and are crisp. Quickly cool and taste one for crispness. If they are not crisp, bake just a few minutes longer. Once cool, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Yields: about 40 crackers
Note: If crackers are soggy after storing, re-crisp them in a preheated 400º oven for 3 to 5 minutes.
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com