Pork Roast with Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
- 1 (32) ounce jar sauerkraut, drained plus 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 (2 pound) boneless pork loin roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 pound kielbasa, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Cover the bottom of a slow cooker with the sauerkraut. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Season the pork loin roast generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Place the pork on top of the sauerkraut.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add the onion, apples, thyme and garlic and sauté until the onion and apples are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the apple mixture to the slow cooker and arrange around the pork.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add the beer and bring to a simmer. Stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour over pork loin in slow cooker. Top with remaining 1 1/2 cups of sauerkraut.
- Cover and cook on low until the pork is fork-tender and shreds easily, 8 to 10 hours. In the last hour of cooking, arrange kielbasa pieces around the edges of the slow cooker pot.
Yields: 6 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com