Licensing Working Group
Tuesday 17th July 2012
18:00 - 18:30 GMT
Agenda & Minutes
Present: Dermot McNally, Michael Collinson, Simon Poole, Grant Slater, Oliver Kühn
Minutes by: Michael
1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings
The LWG last met July 10th.
2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)
3. Finalise today's agenda
4. Redaction Bot progress and issues
We thank lots of coders and those giving their support, this has sped things up considerably.
Progress can be seen at http://harrywood.dev.openstreetmap.org/license-change/botprocessing.php, (thanks Harry Wood for this).
Generally running smoothly. UK and Ireland complete as of today, about 6 issues came up and were fixed within 24 hours … given the way the bot process is designed, these do NOT create permanent damage. Redaction rate has been increased from 2,000 transactions/minute to 8,000 per minute.
Now started Europe, where about ⅓ of global data is. One issue with a missing white list that is affecting Poland. Rebuild team is working on this as fast as possible.
Stefen Tauner reported via email there appears to be a correlation between data entered in OSM and Google.
As we understand it, a non-existent cycleway was put into OSM along "Dresdnerstraße"and then deleted. Strangely, some or part of it also appears in Google Map. We feel there could three reasons for this:
1) The same dodgy import has been used in both OSM and Google Maps, so there is no copyright violation.
2) Google Mapmaker is live in Austria, so it is possible that a contributor has put the same data into both OSM and Mapmaker, so there is no copyright violation.
3) Data has been copied from OSM to Google Maps or vice versa. There is then a copyright violation in one direction or the other.
We note that the cycleway is no longer in OSM, so there is no problem with the cycleway itself. However, it may be systematic of other copying and this should be monitored by the Austrian community.
4. dresdnerstraße http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/148866127
Tuesday July 24th 18:00 UTC / 19:00 BST(UK) / 20:00 CEST