4 or 5 large plums, pitted and cut into wedges
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
½ cup oil (such as canola)
½ cup milk
2 large eggs
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
cinnamon sugar (2 tablespoons sugar combined with ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon)
1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Whisk together the eggs, oil, milk, lemon zest and juice in another small bowl.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until it forms a smooth but thick batter.
5. Pour the batter into a greased 9” springform pan.
6. Arrange the plum slices on top of the batter. I start with a ring around the outside edge and make a second ring inside that.
7. Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon sugar and dot the top of the cake with butter.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes to an hour, until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean (baking time will vary depending on the juiciness of the fruit). Cool slightly in the pan, then release the sides and cool further until you can safely remove the bottom.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature with a garnish of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if you like.