In this document you will learn about:
Sending an Email
Sending an Email
The built-in Email tool allows users to send messages to other course participants from within Blackboard without launching an external email client, such as Gmail or Yahoo. Emails can be sent to individual users or to groups of users. A copy of this email is sent to the sender’s UM- Flint email account by default.
Note. Blackboard keeps no record of sent or received emails. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
You can send email to the following users in a course:
- All Users: Sends email to all users in the course.
- All Groups: Sends email to all of the groups in a specified course.
- All Teaching Assistant Users: Sends email to all of the Teaching Assistants in a specified course.
- All Student Users: Sends an email to all students in the course.
- All Instructor Users: Sends email to all of the instructors for a specified course.
- All Observer Users: Sends email to all of the observers for a specified course.
- Single/Select Users: Sends email to select users.
- Single/Select Groups: Sends email to select groups.
- Single/Select Observer users: Send email to a single observer or select observers in the course.
Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
To send an email from within Blackboard:
- Click the Course Tools or Tools link on the Course Menu.
- On the Tools page, scroll down and select Send Email.
- On the Send Email page, click one of the options listed to send the email.
- If emailing to Single/Select Users, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Click Invert Selection and selected users are no longer highlighted and those users that are not selected will be highlighted.
Tip. For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the SHIFT key and click the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the CTRL key and click each user needed. For Mac systems, press the COMMAND key instead of the CTRL key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject.
- Type a Message.
- Click Attach a file to browse for file from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file appears.
- Click Submit.
A receipt page appears after the message is sent listing all recipients. The receipt page does not confirm that users received the message. It only confirms that the message was sent.
Note: You may also be able to access the Email tool via the Course Tools section of the Control Panel, or via a customized Email tool link if it was added to your Course Menu.
Back to top ↑