Vegan “Beef” Stroganoff
* 1 lb whole wheat fettuccine pasta or any other eggless broad pasta noodle
* 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
* 1 onion, diced
* 6 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
* 1 tsp mustard
* 1 cup Faux Beef Broth ( I use Better than Bullion ) or vegetable broth
* 3 Tb all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup soy milk
* 1/2 cup vegan sour cream ( I use Follow Your Heart’s sour cream )
* 1 pound seitan, store bought, cooked as directed on package ( such as White Wave ) or homemade ( I like to use Veganomicon’s Simple Seitan Recipe )
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add the pasta noodles. Cook until al dente, about 8-9 minutes. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
2. In a large deep skillet, add one tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook 5-6 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
3. Add the mushrooms and sauté another 6 minutes, or until soft.
4. Add the mustard and mix well. Add the faux beef broth and slowly add the flour, stirring constantly until everything is incorporated.
5. Slowly pour in the soy milk, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
6. Bring heat to a low and add the sour cream, mix well.
7. Stir in the seitan strips and cook on low for 15 minutes. Then turn off heat and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve over pasta noodles.